DONT STAY LURKING AS A GUEST,

JOIN TEF AND BENEFIT FROM MEMBERSHIP:

CLICK HERE TO JOIN.
  •  

Countdown To Christmas!

Phone call today...

Guest Dane

Had a call today off a "builder" im doing some work for.

Really ****ed off about it aswell. Any how story goes

Converting garage into a "living" area. So off i go, install new sockets (miles for CU) so i went into existing ring main for existing living room and dining room.

All was fine

Said to customer, power is on, can you let me know if ANYTHING is not working.

i used my transformer, and 110 sds to drill through wall for outside lights after this.

Customer then said everything was running at 4pm

Todays call

"We have a bit of a problem, the freezer has been off ever since you left the house and now all the food is defrosted"

I specificley asked if there fridge and freezer was on and they said YES

I also know the "circuit" was on as i used the socket on same circuit for transformer!

There now wanting to claim for 360 quids worth of ****ing food! (its only a under counter freezer!)

Yes im fully insured.

but surely something fishy here. Not sure whether to confront them about it though. cant decide.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Always a good plan. Thinking of chaning mine now to be a form with checkboxes for things like freezers/other vulnerable circuits to make it more "binding".

I think its bad we have to go this far these days.

You should ask why they didn't notice before (as I guess fridge is on same circuit)?

Maybe there is something fishy, other than the smell from their freezer. Aren't they covered by their own insurance if you refuse to admit liability?

Well ive got to go down in the morning to discuss it with the builder, messed my plans up this week!

I cant just work out why they "noticed it" Saturday once id left, yet i only find out today!

I defiantly will be getting something drawn up now.

the freezer is actually on a different circuit, there is a spur through the wall to a double socket. i know for sure the circuit was on.

lessons learned i supose. have to see what happens tomorrow. got a feeling going to be out of pocket :(

Andy™

tell them if they buy new stuff, you want the receipt, and the existing contents to make sure there isnt anything extra, and only then will you consider paying. may give you some idea if there genuine or not

tell them if they buy new stuff, you want the receipt, and the existing contents to make sure there isnt anything extra, and only then will you consider paying. may give you some idea if there genuine or not

I requested proof of the items the items that defrosted.

but they have "disposed" of them already as they were "no good"

its all a bit fishy to me, so not too sure what to do

Andy™
I requested proof of the items the items that defrosted.

but they have "disposed" of them already as they were "no good"

its all a bit fishy to me, so not too sure what to do

will your car insurance payout if you tell them you crashed it, but disposed of it yourself before they could check it?

didnt think so.

Andy™

sounds like they are trying it on...

since they have 'restocked', tell them you want receipt, and see what the value really is.

SPECIAL LOCATION

excuse my thickness here...:P:p:p:(

but what exactly are they saying is your fault????:|?:|

are they saying you left some physical wiring disconnected and dead accessories?

OR

That a circuit had tripped off without them noticing???

OR

that you had the power turned off for too long while you were working there?

If you left it faulty and dead... then how is it live again now so they can restock?

IMHO... IF there was something your fault, you should have been notified immediately so that you could carry out any appropriate remedial work.

But if it is miraculously live and fixed? You CANNOT verify or accept any liability at all.!

I assume you would have checked all MCB's RCD's were on before leaving site?

which is about as much as you can reasonably be expected to do..

you cannot go round every outlet and accessory in a property looking for something that may be switched off?

The problem isn't a dodgy freeze pump motor that has tripped an RCD / RCBO is it?????

which they just didn't happen to check on for a couple of days?:|

What is the total value o the job to you?

what percentage of your profit will be lost by their claim?

Could it be that they just don't like a bill or quote from you and looking to save some money??X(

:|

best of luck sorting it DLGuiness Drink

This certainly sounds not right. I think they are trying for a free freezer of food. Even if it had gone off how are you to know what was in it. It may have been nearly empty. I don't think I would be happy paying out all that money without proof.

Batty

Evans Electric

I think they are ripping you off TBH So what are your options ?

You are positive the circuit was on so you could walk away , worst they can do is small claims court I guess, and you took all reasonable steps by asking if everything was back on, so they don't have a very good claim.

You could offer to pay half and put it down to experience.

You could go round Tesco and see what

jl-heating

i have spoke to dane already bout this, if he pays i am deleting him from my phone and deleting him from my msn.

its the builders fault !!! why i hear u say .... because he is a builder.

i have spoke to dane already bout this, if he pays i am deleting him from my phone and deleting him from my msn.

its the builders fault !!! why i hear u say .... because he is a builder.

In my experience Builders are wa...rs although some are ok.

Evans Electric

Don't be silly JL, builders are never wrong , its always their sub-contractors that let them down !!! Everyone knows that ! ;)

the builders probably been doing some work while you werent there, tripped the mcb and decided to blame it on you.

NozSpark

It certainly sounds like they are trying it on...

I think that you need to be firm & polite, but state that the fridge & freezer were on when you left and that you got them to check it also... therefore you are not liable for any losses, tell them that if they want to claim that they should do so through their household insurance...

You also need to have a good word with the builder so that you are both coming form the same place..

SL & Noz are right here. They checked the freezer was on when you left - you are not liable!

Now if you'd unplugged it to test the socket, and not plugged it back in that is negligent on your part! What is it they are claiming happened - exactly?

Builder is on my side believe it or not... hes some one ive known for years!

He has used the socket on 110v tranny AFTER i left, which is n the same circuit as the freezer socket.

All MCBs were left on, apart from "cooker" which i also asked the customer why that was off in the first place, just to be sure.

The money in the jobs not worth me paying out for the freezer load, i might aswell cut my loss's of 4 hours work and about 50 quid in materials. plus fuel to and from.

Im going to see them in the morning any way, so we will see what they want to do. The builder is happy to confirm he used the same socket i did which is on the same circuit.

It really does amaze me that there are people out there that dont realise something aint working, or realise it and dont think to call you!

i left Saturday, i get told Tuesday... does any one else not touch freezer for over 2 days or is it just me that likes my ice-cream :D:D

NozSpark

TBH I think you are going to have problems with your money on this job no matter what, If you manage to get through this make sure that you type something up for them to sign every day that says that they are happy with that days work and that everything is on....

Now if you'd unplugged it to test the socket, and not plugged it back in that is negligent on your part! What is it they are claiming happened - exactly?

claiming i left a circuit off meaning the freezer was off. due to having to extend a ring main.

I get paid directly from builder, so pay wise, wont be that bad, never had any problems before, the ongoing work frm this builder is renovations without people in the house. this was just one of his "weekend" jobs that he picked up.

He actually has a team of plasterers working for Glendale aswell (ben-baileys)

Il have to update in the morning see what happens.

SPECIAL LOCATION
claiming i left a circuit off meaning the freezer was off. due to having to extend a ring main. ......

is this "OFF" referring to an RCD/RCBO being OFF by any chance???

Have plasterers been in????:o

water damp ?????:|?:|?:|

just guessing here:|

is this "OFF" referring to an RCD/RCBO being OFF by any chance???

Have plasterers been in????:o

water damp ?????:|?:|?:|

just guessing here:|

i left the MCB in the off position, of which i didnt, i know 100% i didnt. So does the builder, who also has the plasterer, who also used the same socket for his mixer lol. and it worked :)

i keep getting texts from builder with updates lol

Archived