Phone call today...

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Dane

Had a call today off a "builder" im doing some work for.

Really ****ed off about it aswell. Any how story goes

Converting garage into a "living" area. So off i go, install new sockets (miles for CU) so i went into existing ring main for existing living room and dining room.

All was fine

Said to customer, power is on, can you let me know if ANYTHING is not working.

i used my transformer, and 110 sds to drill through wall for outside lights after this.

Customer then said everything was running at 4pm

Todays call

"We have a bit of a problem, the freezer has been off ever since you left the house and now all the food is defrosted"

I specificley asked if there fridge and freezer was on and they said YES

I also know the "circuit" was on as i used the socket on same circuit for transformer!

There now wanting to claim for 360 quids worth of ****ing food! (its only a under counter freezer!)

Yes im fully insured.

but surely something fishy here. Not sure whether to confront them about it though. cant decide.

Did you get them to sign all was working when you left?

not something you would normally do on small jobs. as its was just a first fix.

So no... but i will do from now on!

Always a good plan. Thinking of chaning mine now to be a form with checkboxes for things like freezers/other vulnerable circuits to make it more "binding".

I think its bad we have to go this far these days.

You should ask why they didn't notice before (as I guess fridge is on same circuit)?

Maybe there is something fishy, other than the smell from their freezer. Aren't they covered by their own insurance if you refuse to admit liability?

Well ive got to go down in the morning to discuss it with the builder, messed my plans up this week!

I cant just work out why they "noticed it" Saturday once id left, yet i only find out today!

I defiantly will be getting something drawn up now.

the freezer is actually on a different circuit, there is a spur through the wall to a double socket. i know for sure the circuit was on.

lessons learned i supose. have to see what happens tomorrow. got a feeling going to be out of pocket :(

tell them if they buy new stuff, you want the receipt, and the existing contents to make sure there isnt anything extra, and only then will you consider paying. may give you some idea if there genuine or not

tell them if they buy new stuff, you want the receipt, and the existing contents to make sure there isnt anything extra, and only then will you consider paying. may give you some idea if there genuine or not
I requested proof of the items the items that defrosted.

but they have "disposed" of them already as they were "no good"

its all a bit fishy to me, so not too sure what to do

I requested proof of the items the items that defrosted. but they have "disposed" of them already as they were "no good"

its all a bit fishy to me, so not too sure what to do
will your car insurance payout if you tell them you crashed it, but disposed of it yourself before they could check it?

didnt think so.

Very good point.

I really want to avoid paying, but want to keep the custom of course. will update tomorrow when i get back see what happens :)

excuse my thickness here... :p :p:p:(

but what exactly are they saying is your fault??? ?:| ? :|

are they saying you left some physical wiring disconnected and dead accessories?

OR

That a circuit had tripped off without them noticing???

OR

that you had the power turned off for too long while you were working there?

If you left it faulty and dead... then how is it live again now so they can restock?

IMHO... IF there was something your fault, you should have been notified immediately so that you could carry out any appropriate remedial work.

But if it is miraculously live and fixed? You CANNOT verify or accept any liability at all.!

I assume you would have checked all MCB's RCD's were on before leaving site?

which is about as much as you can reasonably be expected to do..

you cannot go round every outlet and accessory in a property looking for something that may be switched off?

The problem isn't a dodgy freeze pump motor that has tripped an RCD / RCBO is it?????

which they just didn't happen to check on for a couple of days? :|

What is the total value o the job to you?

what percentage of your profit will be lost by their claim?

Could it be that they just don't like a bill or quote from you and looking to save some money?? X(

:|

best of luck sorting it DLGuiness Drink

This certainly sounds not right. I think they are trying for a free freezer of food. Even if it had gone off how are you to know what was in it. It may have been nearly empty. I don't think I would be happy paying out all that money without proof.

Batty

I think they are ripping you off TBH So what are your options ?

You are positive the circuit was on so you could walk away , worst they can do is small claims court I guess, and you took all reasonable steps by asking if everything was back on, so they don't have a very good claim.

You could offer to pay half and put it down to experience.

You could go round Tesco and see what

i have spoke to dane already bout this, if he pays i am deleting him from my phone and deleting him from my msn.

its the builders fault !!! why i hear u say .... because he is a builder.

i have spoke to dane already bout this, if he pays i am deleting him from my phone and deleting him from my msn. its the builders fault !!! why i hear u say .... because he is a builder.
In my experience Builders are wa...rs although some are ok.

the builders probably been doing some work while you werent there, tripped the mcb and decided to blame it on you.

It certainly sounds like they are trying it on...

I think that you need to be firm & polite, but state that the fridge & freezer were on when you left and that you got them to check it also... therefore you are not liable for any losses, tell them that if they want to claim that they should do so through their household insurance...

You also need to have a good word with the builder so that you are both coming form the same place..

SL & Noz are right here. They checked the freezer was on when you left - you are not liable!

Now if you'd unplugged it to test the socket, and not plugged it back in that is negligent on your part! What is it they are claiming happened - exactly?