3rd year apprentice wages

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

binky

retired and loving it!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What would you consider a 3rd year to be worth, capable of installing complete circuits, not upto testing yet (apparently that's this years training). No transport and few tools, so can't generally leave to complete jobs, and needs to speed up a bit :^O

on the books or selfemployed?
on the books, which is why I'm being cagey - he's still pretty much van ballast due to lack of transport/tools, and only really useful on larger jobs where I can leave him to work independently. According to JIB a level 3 apprentice is

can't you drop him the days you don't need him?

even tho contracts may say minimum 37.5hrs etc i'm sure there is a legal way to say "hey what can we do" if we haven't the work?

can't you drop him the days you don't need him?even tho contracts may say minimum 37.5hrs etc i'm sure there is a legal way to say "hey what can we do" if we haven't the work?
No contracts signed, was thinking of an hourly rate so what he works is what he earns which seems fairer to both of us.

how about structure his wages, lower hourly rate, but some help to get tooled up ?

you would have thought by the 3rd year he would have all the tools he needs! I'm sure I did by the first. Why not set him an hourly rate and give him a 20quid b+q voucher when he puts the effort in, wins all round.

you would have thought by the 3rd year he would have all the tools he needs! I'm sure I did by the first. Why not set him an hourly rate and give him a 20quid b+q voucher when he puts the effort in, wins all round.
wont get much at B and Q

but same as others, a 3rd year should have pretty much enough tools to do most jobs, i know i did in my first year

wont get much at B and Qbut same as others, a 3rd year should have pretty much enough tools to do most jobs, i know i did in my first year
He's got the basics, but not battery drills etc, but generally uses my stuff cos its always to hand

I think you have got to pay him what he is worth to you and remember when he is trained up he may b..ger off.Batty
This is what I am trying to avoid by being fair to him (and me).

Out of interest, what mark-up would you employer types put on an employees labour to cover overheads, holiday etc???

He's got the basics, but not battery drills etc, but generally uses my stuff cos its always to hand
To me a battery drill is a basic tool for us guys really. Even something like a 18v cordless DIY range helps.

Then again i burnt mine out recently and not been bothered to replace yet!

Why bother doing it then? Might as well go push trolleys at Tesco's! :eek:
But that's not taking the longer view is it. Though some times it is tempting to have a regular wage even if it is low. Eventaully the lad will be qualified, tooled up and have his own transport when he will of course be worth more money to me, and I will be able to pay him the going rate.