New Career Skills

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m4tty

Scaredy cat™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whilst I was on practical training for my course a few people from other training provider were sent home as their provider had gone bust .. think it was New Career Skills. Anyone else heard about this?

Was doing my 2377 today, and all was well, but will ask about tomorrow and get back to you, hopefully not !!!

Lyngarth

So not a fan then!!

What wrong with people trying to learn another trade ?? or should we all goback to working as an apprentice makeing tea and sweeping the floor for all you old hands ??

Lyngarth

So not a fan then!!What wrong with people trying to learn another trade ?? or should we all goback to working as an apprentice makeing tea and sweeping the floor for all you old hands ??

Lyngarth
you cannot learn enough to be a sparky in 5 days. end of.

I do not expect great things after I finished my home learning 17th Edition for example, my goal is just to show some willingless to learn, maybe that will land me a mates job where I can get more experiance.

5 Days ?? where does that come from ?? So far i have done 17 days hands on (not a lot I know but i'm also working along side a sparky in my own time which helps) about 300 hrs study work, enough for me to pass my 2382 with over 90% and also passed my 2377.

I know the course will not make me a spark over night but it will point me in the right direction and at least give me a good starting point as to carry on with.

So I for one think its a good way to teach people the right way of doing things, and also being taught by season sparks helps a lot also.

I also know and understand there will be many old hands out there who will always look down on the new boys/girls like something they have just stood in, but I for one am looking forward to finishing my course and going out to work.

Lyngarth

good work on your 2382 result, where did you do your home learning course for this?

I did my course with New career skills, down near Southampton, plus as I said I have been having a bit of on site help and work from a local sparky, mine you he's in his 50's and I'm for ever putting him right on the latest reg's !!

I did also buy a learning pack for my 2382 from HERE very good and got me up to speed.

Lyngarth

P.S good luck with yours.

Congrats on passing.....I have also passed with new career skills recently and now loving the work and challenge. The reason I went to new career skills is because I'm now 30 and could not afford to study full time and take a pay drop due to house bills and living expensives. I looked into night school but that was out of the question because my job wasn't stable hours and could not guaranty to be finished at 6 for start off class. I do think it's a good starting block to get your foot in the door and it shows that they are commited to learn the trade because of the money it costs. I for one am going to carry on learning and get more qualifications, got the 2392 soon and hopefully other things down the line.

I did my course with New career skills, down near Southampton, plus as I said I have been having a bit of on site help and work from a local sparky, mine you he's in his 50's and I'm for ever putting him right on the latest reg's !!I did also buy a learning pack for my 2382 from HERE very good and got me up to speed.

Lyngarth

P.S good luck with yours.
Well done to you,we at new career skills are fine and dandy thank you we are not going bust, and we instill in to our students that this is not a 5 day quick course and that they will need to continue their education via experience long after leaving us. I have been a spark for many years and have seen good and bad throughout the industry. I would employ most of our students to do jobs that they are comfortable with. But lets face there are Sparks out there that did the conventional route that are beyond belief, I once employed someone that felt is was ok to isolate a live ciruit by touching it down to a metal gas pipe becouse he could not locate the breaker..... was he was ok to do that becouse he study for 4 yrs??????.

Anyway the whole piont of my reply was to let our students know that the company is fine and we are growing in size not closing so there must be another provider that is... ROTFWL

I think one of the main differences between good and bad sparks is knowing when you need help/advise. Good sparks will seek help where, as in your example, bad sparks will just wing it.

I think one of the main differences between good and bad sparks is knowing when you need help/advise. Good sparks will seek help where, as in your example, bad sparks will just wing it.
I agree 110% with that, I must admit I still have alot to learn and I would never wire anything up without being 100% positive about it. Infact in some cases that's a good thing because a spark that has been in the trade for years might take short cuts and overlook regs etc.

I have often asked for advice from this forum and even spoke to the tutors from new career skills centre after I completed the course to which I have always been given sound advice.

http://www.meadelectricalservices.co.uk/

I worked with a time served spark, he had great knowledge but no the slightly ounce of working safe.. anyway

He was under the stairs in a house messing about with the CU and tails, the tails he had loose in his hand was live, I was working in the living room and then there was this massive BANG!!! and a very impressive white light as he had somehow managed to run this live tail down the gas pipe...!! Applaud Smiley

Apart from that I did learn lots! mainly about safe isolation...

I agree 110% with that, I must admit I still have alot to learn and I would never wire anything up without being 100% positive about it. Infact in some cases that's a good thing because a spark that has been in the trade for years might take short cuts and overlook regs etc. I have often asked for advice from this forum and even spoke to the tutors from new career skills centre after I completed the course to which I have always been given sound advice.

I assume (from the name) that is your business you set up after passing? if so, well done!

I assume (from the name) that is your business you set up after passing? if so, well done!
Yeah I set it up just after I passed and started off very small and built up some confidence. I'm doing it part time at the moment but I seem to be getting more and more phone calls from customers now....hopefully I will have enough work on to go fully self employed by the beginning of next year.

Apologies for getting it wrong re new career skills. Thanks electricaltutornew for putting me right. Feel sorry for the people who are with them and hope it gets sorted through ATL at Southampton as these lot r a good bunch. matt

Yeah I set it up just after I passed and started off very small and built up some confidence. I'm doing it part time at the moment but I seem to be getting more and more phone calls from customers now....hopefully I will have enough work on to go fully self employed by the beginning of next year.http://www.meadelectricalservices.co.uk/
Thats very interesting, so did you also get even part p from New career skills?

Thats very interesting, so did you also get even part p from New career skills?
Yeah, we did the eal building regs online exam aswell as the 2382, 2377 pat testing and the eal domestic installer scheme. I'm going back in the new year to do the 2392 inspection and testing.