Main RCD???

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NozSpark

Seaman stains™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lets say you have been asked to replace a shower and the CU whilst reasonable new has no RCD protection,, you recommend RCD protection and they agree to it,

they will not go as far as a CU change and RCBOs would be overly expensive............ they are however happy for it to go in the tails and accept the problems that would arise in the event of a fault...

I know that this is not strictly to the regs, but would you do it or not???

Surely any RCD is better than none???

I would not but I am busy so can pick and choose work to a certain extent. Just remember if things do go wrong it will be you that they blame.

Batty

When the RCD trips out at 10 o'clock in the evening and they are left in darkness.
Then they work out which circuit is causing it, leave the MCB off and no bother?

RCBO's for them with a minuscule of common sense?

leaving the MCB off will have no effect on a N-E fault. or even a L-E fault depending where on the circuit it is. using DP MCB's would be the only way to fully isolate a circuit

cheap cheap. if there british standard then they must be usable?

I would do as Ianmacd says , put the RCD on the shower , you have done your bit as safe as pos. You have made the customer aware , each set of regs are not retrospective, if they don't want it ,then as I keep saying, we are not the Electric Police.

Its like a car mechanic I suppose, who tells you your car has four bald tyres and dodgey brakes. He can do no more, its now up to you, get the credit card out or ignore his professional advice .