signing off certificate

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevc

Reaction score
hi guys im a electrician - 17th edition, 2391 self employed electrician working for agencys etc.i have been asked if i could sign off a extension that a retired spark has wired, can i do it or do i need to be registed with niceic etc? hope to hear from your opinions

You can't sign off anyone else's work - unless you work for LABC then you magically can :D

Doesn't matter who you are registered with.

Hello and welcome :D

Last edited by a moderator:
hi guys im a electrician - 17th edition, 2391 self employed electrician working for agencys etc.i have been asked if i could sign off a extension that a retired spark has wired, can i do it or do i need to be registed with niceic etc? hope to hear from your opinions
Hello Kevc....

the basic question is what are you signing?

i.e. the bog-standard single signature Domestic certificates has ONE box for declaration.. which is something like....

I being the person responsible for the Design, Construction, Inspection & testing of the electrical installation etc.. etc....
If you can say yes to all those bits... then sign away!

There is the commercial form which has separate boxes for the individual elements "Design" or "Construction" or "inspection & Testing"

What form are you thinking of signing......

If you can satisfy all of the criteriaa.....

you can post it!!

Would i be right in saying that if he did a PIR 1st on the whole installation he can get around it that way or not.

If its an extension its going to be a part p certificate which we know you cannot sign unless you did the work.

Batty

I would assume that LABC are already involved and permission applied for as part of the planning permission so all your mate needs to do is fill out an EIC that he can sign with all the test results needed and submit to LABC. LABC should then supply a completion cert to the owner.

Ian.

You could conduct a PIR, which then might be accepted by the LABC.

Another option would be to help the retired sparky conduct the testing and help him fill out the EIC. Obviously you are going to want paying for your time.

It depeds where you are.

In Scotland you can use a compotent person to sign off the work with a PIR.

My local council spec;

BSP4 Guidance

Your local council will decide what they will accept, and what they will not.

Enquire with them they may ask you for proof of compotence ot may knock you back straight away

Naughty of me to suggest this, but I have done it...

IF LABC are not aware who installed the wiring, you could sign the whole job off as yours, as long as you are happy with the test results and as much inspection of the work you can see..

Ultimately it would be your responsibility if there are any issues..

:|

Naughty of me to suggest this, but I have done it...IF LABC are not aware who installed the wiring, you could sign the whole job off as yours, as long as you are happy with the test results and as much inspection of the work you can see..

Ultimately it would be your responsibility if there are any issues..

:|
and if anything goes wrong because they have bodged it, you have taken responsibility

.....and the out of date retired spark can carry on working without having to pay for any of the additional costs of a scheme membership, additional training that us registered sparks have to?

.....and the same out of date retired spark can carry on under cutting both you and me for the price for the next extension?

run to the hills, you should never sign any one elses work,

while we do that we wont beat the cowboys .. your virtually telling them to carrry on working illegally. deffo no no

So how do you stand if a builder has rewired a house and a little later asks you to do a C/U change? You are still submitting an EIC saying all is ok even if you had nothing to do with the wiring of it.

my first house was rewired by my mate and i just got another sparky to sign it off only cost me

So how do you stand if a builder has rewired a house and a little later asks you to do a C/U change? You are still submitting an EIC saying all is ok even if you had nothing to do with the wiring of it.
On the EIC you are only going to sign for change of protective device not the installation.

Batty

and if anything goes wrong because they have bodged it, you have taken responsibility
Well that goes without saying Andy, but hopefully the inspection has vindicated the state of wiring..

(As much as possible)

:D

:coat