job

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

avinalarf

Reaction score
Hello all

Went to look at a job today (finally!). Client just wants 2 bathroom spots relocated (and new fittings provided) and an external light fitted.

I'm ok with what needs doing and the fact that they're notifiable works. I'm not sure about what I'm obliged to do...

She's got an old re-wireable fuseboard on a PME system. I saw NO sign of an RCD anywhere. Bonding was in place to gas and water, although gas was only 6mm.

She said she'd had the shower replaced last year, but that no wiring was done - it was just a straight swap.

I thought there might be an RCD to cover the shower cct in the loft space above - then I put my brain back in and thought that that would be the most ridiculous place to have one Blushing.

Just need some guidance (again) on anything compulsory I'd need to do before the required work and anything else I should have looked at/for.

BTW, I was going to run the external fitting from an fcu on the downstairs ring.

Thank you.

Thanks Patch - that was helpful. Seeing that the only REAL alteration I'm going to make will be breaking in to the downstairs ring for the external light, does that mean I'd have to RCD that particular circuit or simply just make the client aware of the situation?

I did explain a few things to her already, but I think she's happy to leave as is because everything works!

Thanks Patch - that was helpful. Seeing that the only REAL alteration I'm going to make will be breaking in to the downstairs ring for the external light, does that mean I'd have to RCD that particular circuit or simply just make the client aware of the situation?I did explain a few things to her already, but I think she's happy to leave as is because everything works!
You'd be ok with a RCD spur - then your alteration is covered!

Obv something needs to be done to RCD the bathroom lights.

Now if that was a stand alone RCD in the tails before the meter.................

if its replacing because they want it replaced, then work should be done to 17th. i.e RCDs, earthing etc. if its being replaced because its failed, then you can replace like for like, but warn them of the dangers of no RCD or earthing

if its replacing because they want it replaced, then work should be done to 17th. i.e RCDs, earthing etc. if its being replaced because its failed, then you can replace like for like, but warn them of the dangers of no RCD or earthing
Hi Andy

It's a bit of both really. The lights don't currently work (client unsure why!) and she wants them relocated, so I need to comply then don't I?

What did you think about the RCD? The right choice or overkill in this situation?

Cheers

best RCD is and avoid any problems

priced a job a few days ago for someone. connect a fan to shower switch. they hav already got hole through wall, just needs wired. easy job, FCU next to switch and fan 1mtr away...

needs new rod, ELCB changed to RCD, earth to gas & water (water being 20mtr away).... dont think they will go for it

Oh Christ! That's what worries me. You tell folks that they might need a lot more than they thought to make things safe and you end up losing the job! Still, I'd rather lose out than do it the cowboy way.

That means I'd have to have an external RCD for the lights or is there an alternative for the re-wireable FBs? :_|

I get the message Patch ;) . Stick in an RCD to cover the WHOLE installation.

if it was me id use RCD fused spurs in this case and upgrade main bonding if necessary, all your work will comply and you can note your concerns regarding the rest of the installation on the cert.