Concentric cable.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maccarooni

Reaction score
evening all.

customer asked me to connect a supply to his holiday chalet in his garden. Said the cable already in place with big black armoured as had previous caravan in the same place.

Old electrican had disconnected feed end from rotary isolator last year and now has retired.

16mm concentric buried in ducting from barn to below chalet.

My question is: is this acceptable ? As i have never come across concentric before. I know theres no mechanical protection to the cable, but it is underground and where it is above I could terminateat low level and run in a suitable cable.

many thanks in advance.

Macca

Guiness Drink

Thanks patch,

how come i coulnt find this when i searched...........

Anyway this answers it for me.

Macca

Guiness Drink

evening all.customer asked me to connect a supply to his holiday chalet in his garden. Said the cable already in place with big black armoured as had previous caravan in the same place.

Old electrican had disconnected feed end from rotary isolator last year and now has retired.

16mm concentric buried in ducting from barn to below chalet.

My question is: is this acceptable ? As i have never come across concentric before. I know theres no mechanical protection to the cable, but it is underground and where it is above I could terminateat low level and run in a suitable cable.

many thanks in advance.

Macca

Guiness Drink
now for the big question....

split con or straight con?

Have a read of chapt 5 part 4 sect 3.2 through to 543.4.9 page131 to133 17thEd

The cable needs to be split concentric , otherwise you would be wiring with a combined earth/neutral which can only be used for distribution . To carry that system throughout the installation requires Home office permission ,believe it or not . I have worked on two jobs with that system , wierd.

Deke

The cable needs to be split concentric , otherwise you would be wiring with a combined earth/neutral which can only be used for distribution . To carry that system throughout the installation requires Home office permission ,believe it or not . I have worked on two jobs with that system , wierd.Deke
tell us about it then :) i work on it everyday B-) :_|

tell us about it then :) i work on it everyday B-) :_|
I know you do but you can't continue it after the cut-out. The jobs I worked on which did, were a large Halls of Residence complex for B,ham University . This was wired using single core MICC (Pyro) throughout, the outer sheath being the neutral/earth, connected via earth tail pots. Dist. Bds had no neutral bar, just an earth bar.

At a socket ,for instance, centre core was live , earth tail was looped between back of the box - neutral terminal - earth terminal without being cut.

The other job , EON Sparkss may know of, was the old MEB Depot ( Midlands Elect. Board) at George Road ,Birmingham . When built the electrics went out to tender and the firm I was apprentice with won the job.

It was an awful job, all wired in a single core / concentric butyl cable, never seen it before or since !!

Thanks for all the replies.

sorry for the late response.

It is split, so separate neutral/earth.

not much of an holiday, I bet his wife well happy with him! (unless he has a very big garden with a beach at the bottom).
had to laugh at this

Good news and bad news time............. :^O

the good news is

the "garden " is a 62 acre farm in the beautiful countryside in cornwall.

the bad news.

His wife left him 2 years ago.................... :(

Thanks for all the replies.sorry for the late response.

It is split, so separate neutral/earth.

had to laugh at this

Good news and bad news time............. :^O

the good news is

the "garden " is a 62 acre farm in the beautiful countryside in cornwall.

the bad news.

His wife left him 2 years ago.................... :(
And hows that bad news.

:coat