DONT STAY LURKING AS A GUEST,

JOIN TEF AND BENEFIT FROM MEMBERSHIP:

CLICK HERE TO JOIN.

Exploding a light bulb

boltonsparky

Question

Helping some mates out with a video shoot recently the director asked me if there was a way we could blow up a light bulb ;\

I didn't know a way of doing it so we ended up throwing a big peice of wood at it to make it explode which looked good on camera but not as good as if it were to spontaniously explode.

Does anyone no a way of surging the bulb to make it completly explode without having to throw anything at it or smash it against anything.

Its was a normal 60w BC lamp.

We're allready awair of the H+S implications of flying glass etc :^O

Cheers

23 answers to this question

Thanks for all the suggestions! I tried the bulb in the freezer but it didn't work, tried the putting it in the freezer for various lengths of time but it just worked as normal unfortunatly.

On with the more volatile ones now!!!

When working as a mechanic we used to make oxy acetylene explosions... fill a large tub with oxy acetylene mixture put an automotive fuse with a long lead under the cap and screw on cap. Connect the wires to a battery... what a bang the used to go with!!!

slighly OT (well, what do you expect?!), but anyone got a blow torch with electronic ignition?

get an empty pop bottle, stick nozzle in, put some gas in and ignite.... if you get the mix right, it goes off like a rocket

I know Years ago - And this is dangerous and HSE won't let you do it - But I will Say it anyway - as we are all Adults, with brains. :D

They used to drill a hole in the top of the glass and fill it will highly flammable liquids, such as pertol as it was clear, and din't show on camera - but used to give one heck of an expolsion.

TALK.ELECTRICIANFORUM.CO.UK >> WARNING >> DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME!!!

Brilliant idea :D

We shall try this... in a very controlled environment of course ;\

Is it not tricky drilling the glass without it shattering?

thermal shock - leave it running and get it hot, then put cold water on it.

Brilliant idea :D

We shall try this... in a very controlled environment of course ;\

Is it not tricky drilling the glass without it shattering?

heat the glass enough and you could poke a hole in it

Now if you were to make a hole and let the argon out then apply power. Might explode? Try it......

Now if you were to make a hole and let the argon out then apply power. Might explode? Try it......

the argon etc is there to stop the filament blowing. that wouldnt make it explode

the argon etc is there to stop the filament blowing. that wouldnt make it explode

The why, every now and again, does a bulb explode?

I thought it was the combustion of the filament and expanding glass blows the bulb

:|

The why, every now and again, does a bulb explode?

I thought it was the combustion of the filament and expanding glass blows the bulb

:|

not sure about standards GLS type, but halogens can explode if you touch them. the oil on your fingers contaminates the glass and can cause it to explode at high tempreatures

I know Years ago - And this is dangerous and HSE won't let you do it - But I will Say it anyway - as we are all Adults, with brains. :D

They used to drill a hole in the top of the glass and fill it will highly flammable liquids, such as pertol as it was clear, and din't show on camera - but used to give one heck of an expolsion.

TALK.ELECTRICIANFORUM.CO.UK >> WARNING >> DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME!!!

Acetylene would work very well :P;) mix some oxygen in as well for best results Pray:^O

bob

Acetylene would work very well :P;) mix some oxygen in as well for best results Pray:^O

bob

now that will go with a bang!

Shoot it with an airgun thats what we used to do when we where young.

thats probably the best idea so far. easy to replicate without having to modify anything

thats probably the best idea so far. easy to replicate without having to modify anything

but that is not as fun as messing around with flamable gasses;)

bob

but that is not as fun as messing around with flamable gasses;)

bob

both?

best options:

just a shatter: gun

proper explosion: acet & oxygen into lamp. turn it on and it should ignite. and dont forget to youtube it

Drill the hole through the cap into the bulb.

Use lighter fluid, and only put a small amount in.

The filament needs to be clear of the liquid to allow the vapour to ignite.

what about wacking the light bulb with a hammer that would make it explode :^O

:coat

Archived