Exploding a light bulb

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boltonsparky

Reaction score
Helping some mates out with a video shoot recently the director asked me if there was a way we could blow up a light bulb ; \

I didn't know a way of doing it so we ended up throwing a big peice of wood at it to make it explode which looked good on camera but not as good as if it were to spontaniously explode.

Does anyone no a way of surging the bulb to make it completly explode without having to throw anything at it or smash it against anything.

Its was a normal 60w BC lamp.

We're allready awair of the H+S implications of flying glass etc :^O

Cheers

I know Years ago - And this is dangerous and HSE won't let you do it - But I will Say it anyway - as we are all Adults, with brains. :D

They used to drill a hole in the top of the glass and fill it will highly flammable liquids, such as pertol as it was clear, and din't show on camera - but used to give one heck of an expolsion.

TALK.ELECTRICIANFORUM.CO.UK >> WARNING >> DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME!!!

Brilliant idea :D

We shall try this... in a very controlled environment of course ; \

Is it not tricky drilling the glass without it shattering?

I'm not 100% on this, but I'm sure this does work...

Place bulb in freezer for 15 mins, place in isolated holder, apply power...

:eek:

Couldn't you do it running a LV GLS, 25,50 or 110V directly off the mains? Or would that only blow the filament?

the argon etc is there to stop the filament blowing. that wouldnt make it explode
The why, every now and again, does a bulb explode?

I thought it was the combustion of the filament and expanding glass blows the bulb

:|

The why, every now and again, does a bulb explode?I thought it was the combustion of the filament and expanding glass blows the bulb

:|
not sure about standards GLS type, but halogens can explode if you touch them. the oil on your fingers contaminates the glass and can cause it to explode at high tempreatures

I know Years ago - And this is dangerous and HSE won't let you do it - But I will Say it anyway - as we are all Adults, with brains. :D They used to drill a hole in the top of the glass and fill it will highly flammable liquids, such as pertol as it was clear, and din't show on camera - but used to give one heck of an expolsion.

TALK.ELECTRICIANFORUM.CO.UK >> WARNING >> DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME!!!
Acetylene would work very well :p ; ) mix some oxygen in as well for best results Pray:^O

bob

thats probably the best idea so far. easy to replicate without having to modify anything
but that is not as fun as messing around with flamable gasses;)

bob

Drill the hole through the cap into the bulb.

Use lighter fluid, and only put a small amount in.

The filament needs to be clear of the liquid to allow the vapour to ignite.