Polypipe underfloor heating.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The hurricane

Reaction score
Afternoon all. Does anybody have an experience with this as I'm a little bit lost with it.

The heating/hot water system is as follows. There are 3 zones, downstairs, which is all under floor heating. Upstairs heating and hot water. I have the upstairs and hot water working it's the under floor part that I'm struggling with. There is a third zone valve on the cylinder that is confusing me as there is also an extra wire in it (white).

All the drawings I've received suggest that when all the manifolds, actuators and room stats are connected for each zone I just need a switch live back to the boiler. They don't show this extra valve and also don't show the connections from my 3 zone programmer, although I should be able to work that part out.

Any advice/help would be very much appreciated, Thanks.

Apologies for posting in 2 seperate places just wasn't sure where it was best suited. It won't happen again. Thanks for the replies.

Apologies for posting in 2 seperate places just wasn't sure where it was best suited. It won't happen again. Thanks for the replies.
I did a similar one a while back. The white wire is not connected thats for a different system. The one I did had the valve by the manifold and that was connected into the junction by the manifold. But if its by the junction in the airing cupboard you would wire it the same as any other valve. We would need more information as to what is in the system to judge how it would be wired.

Batty

who`s system is it your wiring ?

does each zone have its own room stat, are they wireless?

which programmer are you using ?

how are the zones zoned ? honeywell 2 ports ?

has all the right materails been used or has someone made a system .. ?

phewww.

who`s system is it your wiring ? does each zone have its own room stat, are they wireless?

which programmer are you using ?

how are the zones zoned ? honeywell 2 ports ?

has all the right materials been used or has someone made a system .. ?

phewww.
I assume all the correct materials have been used. I wasn't involved in any of the initial process of picking this system, it was just put on me. The job is a re-wire/extension.

Each zone has its own stat, wired. There are 8 zones in total. 2 manifolds control 3 zones each the other controls 2. Each manifold has a zone valve and a pump. Then there are actuators to connect which operates each zone depending on the demand for heat. I get this part of it it's this extra zone valve that I'm not sure how to connect.

I'm not sure on the make /model of programmer but it's just a standard 3 zone programmer, CH on CH off etc. I have 1 zone for the underfloor which covers downstairs, 1 zone for upstairs then hot water. All the valves are honywell 2 port. Another poster has hinted that I don't need to use the white wire.

If you follow the link, page 43 is what I have.

http://www.freeyourwalls.com/Downloads/technical-guide.pdf

It worked, don't really know how but it works.

I just have 1 more manifold to connect up but I'm a little bit confused with it. The 3rd manifold only controls 1 zone so there is only the master control and no slave. Although there is only 1 zone it is quite large and therefore there are 5 actuators.

Does anybody know how to implement these into the master control? If you need the wiring diagram, there is a link in the above post.

HELP PLEASE.

Despite this system apparantley working for the last 4 months a small problem has arisen. I've been told that when 1 stat on any particular zone reaches temperature that it is automatically turning off the other zones on that manifold. Is there a way round this or is a potential fault on the master or slave units.

I've installed several different UFH systems, but none by Polypipe. However they all work much the same.

The programmer instructs the manifold controller that it wants heat, so that's where the outputs from the programmer go to.

The manifold control box then (if one of more of it's room stats is calling for heat) turns on it's own pump, controls it's own zone valves, and instructs it's motorised valve to open. (by energising the brown and blue wires of the valve)

You say your system has 3 motorised valves. Presumably two are UFH zones, and the third is the hot water circuit (controlled by the programmer and the thermostat on the HW tank)

Once you have the motorised valves opening and operating correctly, you then connect the grey and orange from each motorised valve in parallel, and these switch on the boiler. So whenever ANY of the 3 circuits calls for heat, the boiler will fire up.

That assumes 3 2 port motorised valves. I have only seen UFH with 2 port valves, but if your system has 3 port valves it will be a little different.

I don;t really follow this, I'm struggling to work out what we have an how it may or may not be connected. The fact that the one of the OP's posts says "It worked, don't really know how but it works." means I definitely have no idea, which makes troubleshooting from afar difficult.

I don;t really follow this, I'm struggling to work out what we have an how it may or may not be connected. The fact that the one of the OP's posts says "It worked, don't really know how but it works." means I definitely have no idea, which makes troubleshooting from afar difficult.
He installed underfloor heating controls and got it working but 4 months on it now is cutting out when one room stat gets up to temperature. I would think its a problem with one of control boards for manifold personally.

He installed underfloor heating controls and got it working but 4 months on it now is cutting out when one room stat gets up to temperature. I would think its a problem with one of control boards for manifold personally.
It's my impression that the control boards may be knackered but from what I have been told it's affecting all three manifolds allthough I haven't had chance to get there yet and inspect.

I can't see how it'd be a wiring problem as surely the boiler wouldn't fire or there would be issues with the valves etc.

RE: Lurch

I first asked for help here when I was initially installing this as it is the first one I've done. The problem I'm having is that when 1 stat on say manifold 1 (there are 3 manifolds, 2 control 3 zones, the 3rd controls 2) reaches temperature it is preventing the other stats on that manifold from reaching temperature.

Hope that makes a little bit of sense.