Pir....how long?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meady

Reaction score
Got a fella that wants me to carry out a pir on 4 of his rental flats. They are all 2 beds with no more than 5 circuits. How long roughly would you allow for a full pir? I have got to work it around a job at the moment but could find it hard to find the time

That's what I was looking at....was going to give it 3 hours to be on the safe side

As a rough guide I try and work to about 40mins per circuit

i.e. 5 x 40 = 200mins / 60 mins per hour = 3.33 (3 and a half hours)

Not all the jobs are the same but its useful as a rough guide.

Just remember that if you haven't taken the fuseboard covers off any of the boards there could be some doubled up or even tripled up MCB / fuses, thus making your straight forward 5 way boards into 6,7,8,9,10 ways etc!

Hope this helps.

Warren

I have done hundreds possibly thousands of PIR's over the last 11 years whilst being employed by various contracting companies. One company tried to make me do each one in 2 hours but I found that to be far too little time. My present employer allows approx 4 hours per installation which I think is a very fair time which I find gives me enough time to do all the testing properly (including the three ring continuity tests) and fill in the NICEIC form neatly having identified every fault/ defect.

I'd allow 1/2 day each as well, could probably do one in three hours, but the thought of 3 PIRs in one day makes me suicidal, so for health & safety reasons, it's two per day!

From the (experienced) comments and my boys experience, 2.5-4 hours is the top and bottom for the size of the installation mentioned here.

Don & His Boys

As said...

typically 1/2 day...

If a customer asks over the phone for a typical domestic semi, I always quote.. between 1/2 to a full day..

depending upon what is found and any level of greater investigation that may be neeeded....

As a rule of thumb...

Allow 1/2 hour per circuit plus 1/2 hour for general investigations of CU or any 'hidden' accessories!

So your flats would be at least 3 hours MINIMUM IMHO

DON'T forget you have to write up your report and there may be other observations that NOT life threatening do need drawing to the customers attention!

allow at least half a day

remember take your time, get it right, and price the remedials as you go. nothing worse than putting in a report with out the remedials priced correctly.