Elecsa Assessment on Weds...!

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stoneman

Reaction score
Hi,

I've got my elecsa part p assessment on Weds...I felt confident when I booked it - as the date gets closer I'm getting a tad nerveous!

I'm thinking of more questions by the second, but...

I've done a board change (dead easy one - nothing complex or unexpected) and want to confirm the sheets I need to complete.. I have 4 sheets in total, is this right?

Electrical installation certificate

Particulars of installation

Schedule of inspections

Schedule of test results

Is RCD trip time on results sheet X1 trip current and would I put X5 trip time in comments box?

Insulation testing - my tester goes upto 500M, is it OK just to put >500M in results column.

In 'equipment vunerable to testing' box - would things like LV downlights be included as they can't be disconnected for L-L insulation tests?

Is there any amendment date to fill in on the front sheet?

Do the main protective conductors HAVE to be verified and box ticked (ie - long R2 lead from board to bondings)?

6. Daft question time... what's the difference between TN-C and TN-C-S?

7. Disconnection times.. 0.4 secs for ccts under 32A, 5 secs for ccts over 32A. I can't find a specific table for 5 sec disconnection with MCB's, but can for BS 88 & 1361 fuses

The MCB table (2D p. 103 OSG) just says 0.1 to 5 second disconnection times... confused.com?

If anyone can help me out with any of the above I'd be really grateful!!!

Feel a bit cheeky jumping in and asking so much - I should have got my ars* into gear earlier really...

Fab forum and I'll be posting and sharing what knowlegde I have to help anyone out in the future.

I'm a big believer in that we can all learn something from whoever we meet - no matter who they are...

Thanks again!

DB

Knew I'd forget something...

Can anyone recommend a good site(s) to download an adaptable H&S statement and risk assessment?

Cheers...

First of all do not pannick, we all get nervous even me:^O

1 Yes thats fine

2 It does no harm to put both trip times down, you put the highest reading from each cycle

3 Yes that is fine although most people still use the >200

4 NO there are no published ammendments to the 2008 regulations

5 Yes this is often overlooked, if you just tick this box and then asked to confirm on your assesment you could have a non conformity.

6 TNS means TN type of earthing external S means seperated

TNC means combined earth (neutral) then seperated. Full explanation of earthing is in the OSG and the BRB

7 Disconnection times are shown in Tables 41.2, 41.3, and 41,4

These tables show all maximum Zs readings for all protective devises.

Knew I'd forget something...Can anyone recommend a good site(s) to download an adaptable H&S statement and risk assessment?

Cheers...
I do believe the required information you require is on site here.

(As I'm having connection issues, perhaps someone else could help the member concerned?)

Don

You don't get that until they accept you. Catch 22.

..........(As I'm having connection issues,.......

Don
Connection issues......???? :eek: ? :| :(

I do hope thats not repatriating heads with bodies down at the stables???

cuz your boys got a bit over zealous and cut too many off!!?? ?:| ? :|

That's brilliant - thanks a million!

I don't have a long R2 lead to verify earth bondings - knowing my luck if I did tick the verified box I'd get asked to show how I did it...

It's probably unlikely to happen but I may get one just in case (mind you it's have to be TODAY!) - I've seen some adapters that enable the use of a 240v ext lead as as R2 test lead... Any good??

That's brilliant - thanks a million!I don't have a long R2 lead to verify earth bondings - knowing my luck if I did tick the verified box I'd get asked to show how I did it...

It's probably unlikely to happen but I may get one just in case (mind you it's have to be TODAY!) - I've seen some adapters that enable the use of a 240v ext lead as as R2 test lead... Any good??
dont buy one! use a bit of 1mm single (though i got a socket and see thing, u use an extention cable and cost about 30 quid).

you dont need a wander cable, the man from elecsa tod me not to wast money, and said i did not even need the thing i had.

i was worried and only had metal steps and no prooving meter, he never said anything about it though.

keep him talking and feed him tea and biscuits.

good luck

they sent me a pack befor the assessment, risk asses, contract of work, h&s statement, part P thats type of thing. They also sent a check list so i could make sure i had everything.good luck!
Actually that's correct, they give you sample hard copy ones but they do not allow you access to the electronic copies so you can modify them until they accept you, which seemed really stupid to me as you need them to pass the assessment.

I ended up retyping all of mine, modifying them a bit and sticking a company logo on them.

As for risk assessment, I downloaded one from the HSE website (linked above by GH) and filled it in with a pen (old school). They were more than happy with that and mentioned I didn't really need a statement as I was on my own not with 6 or more people but I would suggest you do it anyway.

Just make sure you have everything the checklist says you need. Who is doing your assessment? Check you have labels etc... on CU's if needed and all screw terms are super tight in CU too.

Good luck.

Ian.

Thanks guys - a guy called Gary is doing the assessment. I'll do the H&S thing anway - it can't hurt?

I think I've got everything covered (as per checklist) - bit shaky on insulation testing due to the fact we (at work) don't normally do it!.

There are a couple of sockets in the house with lamps plugged into that I cannot get to (back of MASSIVE full wardrobes) so can't do live-live tests.

Live - earth tests are giving quite low readings ( 20ish Meg). I joined L&N and tested between earth and got a lowish reading too - does this sound normal?

Should I report the fact the 2 lamps cannot be locally isolated?

Thanks again for your help & pointers!

Report it as a limitation of testing that "something" is still connected and can not be found/isolated so test done between both live conductors together and cpc.

20Mohm is still a pass. Older cabling begins to break down but its not an issue until it gets much lower and will hopefully had a full rewire by then.

These are both issues when doing CU changes especially in older houses where wiring has been modified/expanded over years and the current owner has no clue where things are. Classic one is tV booster in loft off of lighting circuit that no one knows about.

Ian.

I did a cu change for my assessment and found a few problems, eg 6mm cable on 9kw shower and the clasic missing fire hoods, I listed everything I saw that was not upto scratch and the assesser was more than happy with it.

With a cu change I think they like you to find faults as is is likley there is a few on a old house, it shows you as observant (or however it is spelt)

I did a cu change for my assessment and found a few problems, eg 6mm cable on 9kw shower and the clasic missing fire hoods, I listed everything I saw that was not upto scratch and the assesser was more than happy with it.With a cu change I think they like you to find faults as is is likley there is a few on a old house, it shows you as observant (or however it is spelt)
6mm

Dont forget you can do an IR test with connected appliances providing its L+N to earth.

Then state on cert why you have had to do it that way.

Another thing your assesment is tommoro!

RELAX