DONT STAY LURKING AS A GUEST,

JOIN TEF AND BENEFIT FROM MEMBERSHIP:

CLICK HERE TO JOIN.

derating cables

tom1

Question

i am extending a ring in a stud wall built for sound proofing, insulation on one side cable on plaster bord. derates cable to 21 amps, am i righting thinking its ok cus off 2 ring cables = 42 amps

23 answers to this question

Guiness Drinkfour lookers no takers. busy on here tonight

Be patient man. I looked and haven't a clue. :D

could drop 6mm from the socket on floor above and 6mm from socket thats already in the room

Not sure what you are saying here. I think you are saying running in 6mm instead of 2.5. I guess you would really need to upgrade the whole ring (thats why I a not keen on rings). Have you got an BRB/OSG there?

this is were it confuses me, if the temp goes up or near insulation it derates the cable, so increase the csa. also i have been told not to mix and match cabe size and also been told its ok if cable is bigger. thats off 3 diff sparks

Tom. Please can you stop the constant re-posting. It is totally un-necessary, and just annoys peeps. Thanks

To answer the question, extending in 2.5 is fine. If it really annoys you, add the socket as a spur from the ring, and wire in 4.00mm if it makes you happier. But 2.5 is not an issue, subject to the constraints of a ring cct as given in the BRB.

HTH

KME

Tom. Please can you stop the constant re-posting. It is totally un-necessary, and just annoys peeps. Thanks

sorry mate new to all this threads and fourms stuff:coat

No problem bud. We all had to start from scratch at some time:)

Guiness DrinkGuiness DrinkGuiness DrinkGuiness DrinkGuiness Drink

Gawd, I needed that.

(AD2, thanks for keeping your "other half" away from my guinnes)

Erm, trailer boy.....Your bar bill is a bit steep. Care to settle up now?

Guiness DrinkGuiness DrinkGuiness DrinkGuiness DrinkGuiness Drink

B-) - thats me.

Archived