My consumer unit...

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AAAMUSEMENTS

Reaction score
Classy or what... :eek:

2009_0909ebay0011.jpg

Classy or what... :eek:
2009_0909ebay0011.jpg
At least you have got some buttons and switches when the fuse trips!

Other than that......

WTF..... where are the lights???? :eek: ? :|

1 x 32A (button)

2 x 32A (switch)

1 x 16A (switch)

1 x 20A (switch)

1 x 20A (button).....? or is the yellow an OFF colour white (5A)

That 16 amp has all the lighting circuits. It originally had a 5 amp in it but that used to go if too many lights were on.

The yellow is a 20 amp, for the immersion heater.

That 16 amp has all the lighting circuits. It originally had a 5 amp in it but that used to go if too many lights were on.The yellow is a 20 amp, for the immersion heater.
GULP. Hope its not 1.0mm cable or worse then.

That 16 amp has all the lighting circuits. It originally had a 5 amp in it but that used to go if too many lights were on.The yellow is a 20 amp, for the immersion heater.
That doesn't sound good.. :(

assuming you have 1.0m cable on your lighting circuit...

which is quite likely,

depending upon installation methods the cable should only carry around 10A -11A ish!

so MAX fuse rating would be 10A...

with a 16A, in the event of a fault or overload it is possible that the cable could melt before the fuse trips!!!

you should seriously consider getting a formal inspection carried out on your installation to double check all fuse ratings, cable sizes, cable condition, earthing, connected loads, max demand etc..

my gut feeling is that CU has overrun its best-before date!

and could probably benefit from an upgrade! :|

:( from the picture..

it would look IMHO to be more 1.0mm ish..

i.e.

far right 32A is probably 1 x 4.0mm or 6.00m

next 32A looks like 3 x 2.5mm

then the 16A looks like 3 x 1.0mm

:( :|
Yes, most likely. I was referring to the immersion cable being 2.5mm, the lighting is almost certainly 1mm.

I am well aware the whole installation is extremely dodgy and needs to be changed, we have been trying to find an electrician willing to do it for the last 3 years.

I have made a post about it on here somewhere...

The services are not bonded at all. And the main earth from next to the company fuse to the CU is less than 10mm cable by the look of it. And that was presumably put in by EME.

I am well aware the whole installation is extremely dodgy and needs to be changed, we have been trying to find an electrician willing to do it for the last 3 years.
Where about's are you?