2 light switches for one light - how to change to 1

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Edmond

Reaction score
I have a dimmer switch and a flick switch that both control the same light. I want to remove the flick switch and put a blank plate over it, and have the light solely controlled by the dimmer. 

Going into the flick switch are two blue wires and a brown ground wire. With my very limited understanding of wiring, I'm making the assumption that the switch works by completing a circuit between the two blue wires. So my question is, if I removed the switch and connected the two blue wires somehow, would I then be able to use just the one dimmer switch to control my light?

If this is correct, what's the best way to connect the wires? This is a rental property, so I would want to easily be able to undo my work and put the switch back at any point. What do I do with ground wire in this scenario?

never assume anything. especially with 'limited knowledge'

either way, youll need to fit a blank plate where the light switch was... what exactly are you going to achieve? why not just leave switch there and not use it?

I have a dimmer switch and a flick switch that both control the same light. I want to remove the flick switch and put a blank plate over it, and have the light solely controlled by the dimmer. 

Going into the flick switch are two blue wires and a brown ground wire. With my very limited understanding of wiring, I'm making the assumption that the switch works by completing a circuit between the two blue wires. So my question is, if I removed the switch and connected the two blue wires somehow, would I then be able to use just the one dimmer switch to control my light?

If this is correct, what's the best way to connect the wires? This is a rental property, so I would want to easily be able to undo my work and put the switch back at any point. What do I do with ground wire in this scenario?

You are incorrect, the Brown and both of the Blues wires are all Live conductors, this is how two-way switches have to be wired for them to work. Assuming they are wired correctly, there is no need to remove the standard switch. All you have to do is only use the dimmer. And as has been mentioned, with most rental properties you should not be altering any fixed wiring or accessories without the landlords permission. 

Doc H.

A few pics may be helpful so people aren't jumping to conclusions. 

If it is rental, then leave it alone. it is NOT yours to mess with.

As others have said, just don't use the switch, it is not doing any harm sitting there unused.

I want to put a blanking plate over it because I want to hang a mirror over it. The switch and enclosure protrude too much for me to able to do this. I have a low profile blanking plate that will enable me to do this. Landlord doesn't mind me doing this, as long as I don't break anything and I put it back if and when I leave.

Whether or not you remove the switch take great care hanging anything over it. The wiring most likely goes straight up the wall just under the plaster so don't go driving nails or anything there.

As mentioned don't go hammering anything into the wall above the switch. If you need to hang this mirror there use some kind of adhesive fixing. If it's just a standard switch blanking plates aren't a great deal slimmer, you might gain 5mm of clearance.

To be honest the whole thing sounds like a recipe for disaster and it's very irresponsible of the landlord allowing an unqualified tenant to be doing work on their property. 

The safest way is just pay an electrician to do it.  It's the sort of job I would do when next in the area for not a lot of money.

As above take GREAT care when attaching a fixing to a wall directly above a light switch.  You are best going some way to the left or the right for the fixing, not directly above the switch.