invertor fault

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moose man

Reaction score
hi all

There is a pir being done at my work at moment

by a company i would just like to ask is it possible to damage a invertor

on a earth loop test as

because before the test was done it work fine

the make is control tech commander se but code HF73 as come on the screen hard drive fault

moose man

Any high voltage put through any electrical componant could and will damage the circuits.

Most sensitive equipment would not have a mains 500v dc insulation test, and the earth continuity test would be fruitless as most if not all pcb boards are not earthed for obvious reasons.Any such equipment must be isolated from the supply before any tests are carried out.

Without knowing the circumstances of the tests I could not really comment on your problem, other than to say I would not have done any high testing on an invertor.

thanks for the reply as far as i am aware they said they did not do a insulation test

but a earth loop was done the isolater was in open pos but the earth was still linked

with the invertor it was done on a hi loop between phase and earth could the fault current go down the earth to the invertor

Sounds to me like the fault has come to light since it has been turned off and back on, seems like a board problem has come to light on reboot

Another thought did you try powering it down leaving for 2 mins and bringing back up might clear the fault ?

The error code says that it is a communication problem between the two microproccesors.

Try a reset if not check the connections on the RS 485 link between the two.

i powered down for 10 mins and yes it came back on for about 1 hour then shut down

and it will not come back on now but still as the same code were is the RS 485 link

located thanks for your advise as invertors are new to me i will keep it on board for the future

what is o/p sort for

I have never worked on the particular invertor you have, but the error code corresponds with it being unable to communicate internally between the two microproccessors, on some these are seperate boards connected via ribbon connectors internally and a possible cause of this fault. Maybe that one of these is loose, however it could be that they are on the same circuit board, in which case it may require a new board to cure the fault.

Hope that helps some.

hi Russell R

I gave control tech a ring today and they said it would be cheaper to buy a new invertor

then to replace the two boards the commander se s been replaced with a commander sk

which will do the same job

ouch

If they are two seperate boards then it could be the link, but it is not sounding too good. Unfortunately.