Cut mains into house

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Id25

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm getting my house rewired. The guys I've accidently cut through the mains into the house. They are saying it's partly my fault because I wanted a socket where the mains come into the house and any electrician would have cut through it.

The fuse board and meter are indeed above where I wanted a socket, I'd expect them to check for wiring with a metal detector or something first. Id also don't see how it's my fault, I'd expect them to tell me I can't have a socket their, they are the experts.

Would anyone else likely make this mistake?

Not your fault at all it is the responsibility of the electrician to risk assess the situation. China shop and bulls come to mind. Someone is going to receive a large bill for that depending on the type of service cable. Do you actually still have power to the property. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd say it's definitely not your fault, they're the ones doing the work. 

Is it the main DNO service cable they've gone through and was it buried in the wall? I'd imagine it went with a fair bang if it was. 

Cables can be run any which way in reality but vertically and horizontally above below and adjacent to electrical accessories/equipment are the safe zones and cables are to be expected in those zones. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all, I'm getting my house rewired. The guys I've accidently cut through the mains into the house. They are saying it's partly my fault because I wanted a socket where the mains come into the house and any electrician would have cut through it.

The fuse board and meter are indeed above where I wanted a socket, I'd expect them to check for wiring with a metal detector or something first. Id also don't see how it's my fault, I'd expect them to tell me I can't have a socket their, they are the experts.

Would anyone else likely make this mistake?

The person using the cutting tools is at fault IMHO.

They should have reasonable knowledge and expertise to check for other services...  power, water, gas, communications prior to doing and cutting / drilling.

Bit of basic visual checking on both sides of a wall are a useful first step to look out for any obvious items of equipment that must have cables or pipes coming to them.

Occasionally some things are run in really obscure places and accidents do happen..

But  if they do cut through something, either they should fix it, or cover the cost of fixing it..

(may be covered by their insurance if its a big bill).

:coffee