Long Test Leads

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Couleddie

Reaction score
Been looking on RS Components for stuff I need to make myself a long test lead but having trouble finding the right bits. Can someone help me out on this with some links? I know a few of you have made your own.

If you want to make a wander lead then you need...

An extension lead (cassette type) - unreel the cable and throw away (or use for a job).

A 4mm banana socket

50m 1.5mm tri-rated cable

A heavy duty croc clip..

OR

A 50m extension lead

A 13a plug top

1m of flex core

Wire the flex to the plug (earth) and plug into extension reel --- you now have a wander lead (earth pin to flex)

and saved time and hasle building one which prob cost

I just carry a roll of 1.0mm stranded with bare ends. Screw into terminal at CU, and croc clip to the bare end at the far end - What`s the issue?

And mine is cheaper & easier to store / move / make than any of the other options.

:)

And mine is cheaper & easier to store / move / make than any of the other options.
That's wrong on 3 counts.

Cheaper, yes (but don't expect to be able to use that for conduit anymore).

Easier to store: no, it winds nicely.

Easier to move: no, it has a nice carry handle.

Easier to make: no, its already made up.

It also lays alot better when moving so less likely to be a trip hazard too.

Ian.

I have the made up roll and find it easier than drum of 1.0m.

But going off on a bit of a tangent I mostly use it for gas & water bond continuity but occasionally will do r2 checks, on my NIC assesment last year inspector said I shouldnt do that as I aint checked polarity. My

I often do R2 on lighting ccts. If you back it up with a non-contact voltage tester, I don`t see a problem. Zs is just belt & braces, as far as polarity is concerned. My opinion anyway.

KME