Socket converters - good or bad?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaulC78

Reaction score
I sort of asked this in another topic, but more specifically, are socket converters good or bad for everyday use? This is the sort of thing I mean:

https://www.selectricuk.co.uk/products/wiring-accessories/13-amp-converter-socket-1-2-to-4-gang-switched/

How does one of these 2 gang to 4 gang converters compare with adding a spur from the existing socket, besides convenience and looks? Is it essentially the same thing or fundamentally different? Bear in mind that I would probably need to use an additional extension either way.

Looking at your link, it looks like it has an incorporated fuse, so the total load is limited to 13A anyway, so personally speaking I don’t see anything wrong with it, in fact there has to be the advantage of one less trailing lead going to a 4 way extension, which would be more than likely being used if this wasn’t.

What I can’t comment on is how well it is installed and the quality of the socket itself.

I sort of asked this in another topic, but more specifically, are socket converters good or bad for everyday use? This is the sort of thing I mean:

https://www.selectricuk.co.uk/products/wiring-accessories/13-amp-converter-socket-1-2-to-4-gang-switched/

How does one of these 2 gang to 4 gang converters compare with adding a spur from the existing socket, besides convenience and looks? Is it essentially the same thing or fundamentally different? Bear in mind that I would probably need to use an additional extension either way.

There are without doubt some reasonable quality converter sockets. But there are also a fair share of cheap imports that have very dubious build quality and long term reliability considerations. The problem is that it can be difficult to distinguish the build quality of any product you buy on-line without having any hands-on touch and feel contact.  Personally I think that single to double, or double to triple, are generally better than anything that is converting to four socket outlets.

Doc H.