Giving Notice (Building Control) for Assessment?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luckyboy

Reaction score
Hello all,

Newbie here, trying my bestest to do everything the right way and not cut corners...

Got my NAPIT assessment booked for next month. The man on the phone said I could do 

any 2 circuits, as long as they come from the consumer unit
This was before my first direct debit was taken 😅

The assessor called to book in a date and said that wouldn't be sufficient enough and that I would have to replace a consumer unit or similar. 

Question is, when I replace the Consumer Unit, legally I should be notifying building control as per Part P... this costs hundreds of pounds though, around the same as a years membership! 

Will they ask for proof? What has everyone else done? 

Appreciate your time.

most people just notify it after theyve passed. not known ant to check although it could happen. really, its not their responsibility to check previous compliance with part p (i.e notification), only that the work complies to 7671

if you did go back to the consumer unit and install new circuits then youd be in the same position anyway in that it would need notification

It's kind of chicken and egg. In my experience they turn a blind eye to the notification. Just notify it after your assessment. You have 30 days to notify (although there is nobody to pull you up on this) so time it right and you'll be within that time frame anyway and you'll be safe from the electric police. 

Interestingly I had the same experience as you, told one thing then when you speak to the assessor he tells you something different then when you have your assessment and you've answered a couple of the easiest questions you could imagine on the regs and done an RCD test and a Zs you wonder what all the fuss was about 😁

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello all,

Newbie here, trying my bestest to do everything the right way and not cut corners...

Got my NAPIT assessment booked for next month. The man on the phone said I could do 

This was before my first direct debit was taken 😅

The assessor called to book in a date and said that wouldn't be sufficient enough and that I would have to replace a consumer unit or similar. 

Question is, when I replace the Consumer Unit, legally I should be notifying building control as per Part P... this costs hundreds of pounds though, around the same as a years membership! 

Will they ask for proof? What has everyone else done? 

Appreciate your time.

I may be wrong, and am open to correction, but legally I think it is the homeowner who is responsible for ensuring compliance with building regulations. (including part-P).   i.e. It is the homeowner who will be fined and prosecuted for non-compliance, not the contractor.  Similar to if they have constructed a property extension without the correct permission & approval.  With regard to electrical work, the self certification by a contractor who is listed on the competent persons register is only one of three possible acceptable methods for notifying work. A DIY person can do work themselves and get a local council approved contractor to test & inspect the alterations. Or a qualified electrician can issue their BS7671 certificate to the local council for them to issue the Building-Regulations-Compliance-Certificate. Further reading of the legal requirements can be found at the Gov.Uk site.  https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2010/2214/contents/made  

Whereas assessment for membership to any of the competent persons schemes, is to ensure you are competent to do work that complies with BS7671.  Your assessor has no idea if the homeowner has notified the work themselves, or if the LABC have checked the work themselves. They have no idea if you have paid for an LABC contractor to check the work you have done.

Doc H.

Thanks all - appreciate it! Feel much better going to my assessment now. 

At the end of the day its not like going for a job interview where you are the one who wants the job..

but the employer has the upper hand and can make the choice for or against you..

You just have to remember that for whoever you choose to join..

(1) You are looking to be their customer.. 

(2) You will be paying money to pay their wages..

(3) You could choose to join another scheme provider..

(4) You are under no obligation to join any scheme at all, As you can still pay an LABC direct yourself.

And a fundamental rule of business is "look after your customers" as they pay your bills!!!

Just as you need to look after your customers, as you want them to keep paying you money and not go elsewhere...

The various scheme providers will want to keep their customers rather than losing your enrolment fees to a competitor!!

So basically you have just as much control over the assessment proceedings as they do.. 

This is of course assuming you are not a complete and utter incompetent block-head who shouldn't be allowed near anything electrical above a 12v Scalextric track!!

:)       Guinness     

Appreciate it, special location! 

I mean, I’ve paid 75% of the first year already through instalments (cheeky if you ask me). So I can’t see them saying “you know what, here’s your money back”. 

I’ve got a 48V track… haven’t shocked myself yet… something to do with touch voltage? 😉

Also..

remember the bods doing an assessment will always be looking with a fine tooth comb for some observations or comments about your example work/documentation..

as otherwise they wont have much evidence for their bosses that they are doing their job right!!

If they just passed everyone, with no comments/observations they would look as though they haven't really checked anything!    

e.g.

Providing the measured max Zs is correct in relation to the protective device..

writing an incorrect max permissible Zs on an electrical certificate, is not actually much of a safety issue..

OR..

ticking the wrong box for the earthing arrangement... 

(as 99% of customers can't understand the majority of the numbers written on the certificate anyway)..

But an assessor would love this type of mistake as they can report an error on their assessment about your work, that they have highlighted to you!

There are a whole bunch of academic errors that have no safety issues..

yet assessors seem to be trained to spot!!   

So don't panic.. when they appear to be questioning some aspect of the job during an assessment..

Guinness