NHBC and C.U. heights

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark2spark

Reaction score
Hi All,

Has anyone successfully argued with an NHBC inspector on a new build about the Part M. C.U. heights, at between 1350mm & 1450mm?

We have plots with the C.U.'s in under stair cupboards, and mounting the C.U. at approx 1400mm raises the board above the (cut down) door height, making it more inaccessible, - which isn't really ideal.

Bad enough to have to bend down to get into the cupboard without having to then straighten up again just to get eye level (whilst stooped) with the MCB's.

What's more ridiculous is that the DNO cut off Isolation switch is directly below the board, - so much for keeping the switches out of reach of young children! (which is the idea behind the height).

The only angle I can think of that takes the C.U. height requirement out of the equation is that the small (1 metre floor square approx, rising to an apex following the stair string) cupboard isn't a habitable room?

The ideal height for the C.U. BTW is about 1200mm, you could open the door, lift the cover and select the MCB that you want (or reset an RCD) without having to enter the cupboard or twist your body into a contortion Lol

Thanks

Mark

if they moved it down then an awkward building inspector could demand it be moved to the required height in part M. not worth the hassle for the contractor doing the installs. or maybe they do it that way now because they have had to move them in the past

What's more ridiculous is that the DNO cut off Isolation switch is directly below the board, - so much for keeping the switches out of reach of young children! (which is the idea behind the height).

I think it is more for disabled people than kids, ie low enough for someone in a wheel chair to acess. I'm a bit surprised it's in a cupbaord at all. 

I think it is more for disabled people than kids, ie low enough for someone in a wheel chair to acess. I'm a bit surprised it's in a cupbaord at all. 
Disabled access usually means no more than 1200mm high as for light switches, so what is the logic in wanting to put a CU 1400mm high?

Thanks Guys. Just an update, - the NHBC inspector conceded (to my argument) that raising the CU up to 1400mm from the ideal height of approx 1200mm, made it foul Part P inasmuch as it made it more inaccessible, so a paradox was created of the Part M height and the Part P 'reasonable provision' requirement.

Fortunately, common sense ruled for a change 😉

None of it in writing of course 😆

Cheers...

Thanks Guys. Just an update, - the NHBC inspector conceded (to my argument) that raising the CU up to 1400mm from the ideal height of approx 1200mm, made it foul Part P inasmuch as it made it more inaccessible, so a paradox was created of the Part M height and the Part P 'reasonable provision' requirement.

Fortunately, common sense ruled for a change 😉

None of it in writing of course 😆

Cheers...

part P in section 1, 1.4 has a note saying consumer unit with switches between 1350 & 1450. so where is this paradox & falling foul of part P coming from? tbh it sounds more like the 'inspector' is incompetent

Last edited by a moderator:
part P in section 1, 1.4 has a note saying consumer unit with switches between 1350 & 1450...
But isn't that in a habitable room? And an under stair cupboard (with restricted, slanted, headroom), isn't one?

He just went along the lines that it was making it more inaccessible for use, to raise it, so reasonable provision for the use of, would be more like the general language used, rather than quoting lines from the Regs.

Last edited by a moderator: