Esi ESRTD2 replaceing with a bee one

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lucylui

Reaction score
Hi, hopefully some one can help please 🤞🏻. We have a dial esi ESRTD2 thermostat and the dial wouldn’t turn past one. We have brought a new one exact same model new batteries in it ect and just replaced it. The problem is it won’t turn the heating on. Do we need to take the back plate off and do some rewiring? Or check something else? Total novice just thinking we could take off the old thermostat and replace with new and it would work 🙈

Did you prove that the heating was still actually working before you replaced the thermostat?

It is possible that you have another fault other than the thermostat..

(Basic rule of fault-finding is to assume everything is faulty until you have proved otherwise,

As you can lead yourself to all sorts of wrong conclusions by assuming things that you are just guessing at.) 

The installation instructions suggest there are some DIP switch..   are these set up identically?

I would imagine this is fairly simple for any competent person with suitable test gear to test and fix..

But if you are a complete novice with no test gear it is going to be a bit difficult to fix via the internet.

:coffee

Did you prove that the heating was still actually working before you replaced the thermostat?

It is possible that you have another fault other than the thermostat..

(Basic rule of fault-finding is to assume everything is faulty until you have proved otherwise,

As you can lead yourself to all sorts of wrong conclusions by assuming things that you are just guessing at.) 

The installation instructions suggest there are some DIP switch..   are these set up identically?

I would imagine this is fairly simple for any competent person with suitable test gear to test and fix..

But if you are a complete novice with no test gear it is going to be a bit difficult to fix via the internet.

:coffee
Yes the heating works. The dial on the thermostat will turn very slightly and it will click on the heating but it won’t turn past one and because the room is already at the temp you can just about turn it on but then  goes off because the room is already at that temp. So basically the dial is stuck. We brought the exact same model and thought we would have to wire it up. When taken off the wall and back plate there are no wires anywhere. We have taken the batteries out of the old one and apart from some mini switches on the thermostat at the the back which we have put the new ones on the same as the old and moved the old off it’s not connecting. When I look up the make and model it mentioned wiring but we have none and my husband is convinced it’s wireless. We obviously will get an electrician and professional  in but I wanted to ask advice from people that may know what’s going on first hence asking in a forum such as this 

The manufactures instructions would suggest it is not wireless.

www.esicontrols.co.uk/esrtd2.html

have you actually tested the batteries you are using??

Thank you everyone yes changed batteries ect. Husband tried taking apart the cover ect. After reading up about the new one that my husband brought and that my he kept insisting was wireless and I kept trying to say it wasn’t and I thought he’d brought the wrong one 🙈 to which he got very irate. The next day I eventually found another part that connects to the boiler (when he was at golf) turns out he brought the wrong model. He still thought the new was wireless untill I took the back plate off and showed him where the wires connected 🙈. Hopefully when we get the right equipment it won’t be so impossible. Thank you for all your responses