How would a sparky hide cables from CU to the outdoor EV charger?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coldywire

Reaction score
Hi all,

Planning an installation works for an EV charger. First thing to address is what are the possible ways to route the cable to the outside of the house, given the layout:

3XPMGTY.png

What would be the nice ways to provide power to the outside whilst hoping to minimise new visible cabling indoors? Perhaps also keeping the overall cable length in mind (the distance from the "top" of the house corner to the future EV installation point is approx. 1.5 meters.

Overall outdoor "suckers" for electricity would be Tesla M3 and a motion-activated floodlight with camera hovering above (thinking Eufy or Ring).

Many thanks and sorry if my initial post will lack in any other info, but happy to provide thereafter:) All yours answers would hopefully set me up for some nice(r) chat once the leccy shows up at the doorstep:)

Thanks all!

Coldy

up and over the ceiling would be best bet, if you are lucky and your toilet is under a sloping roof, that's a doddle. Otherwise it's floorboards up above the toilet, which isn't usually too bad unless you have some very large furniture above that space. 

You could also run cabling in trunking around the walls - doesn't look too bad if you paint the trunking to match the walls

Many thanks for suggesting going up-and-over! In fact, right above the toilet is the upstairs bathroom. Curious as to how OK it is to run cables underneath the vapour-barrier insulation slab that's laid under the bathtub (I'd expect floor joists and noggins to be underneath there, but haven't pried just yet).

Would try to avoid cracking up those bathroom tiles otherwise at all costs (pun(t) intended:)

Curious as to how OK it is to run cables underneath the vapour-barrier insulation slab that's laid under the bathtub (I'd expect floor joists and noggins to be underneath there, but haven't pried just yet).

Ok, bad idea 😀. I've not seen a vapour barrier slab under a bath before, so I've no idea of you can get cables past that or not. 

What size EVCP are you considering installing and where is your consumer unit?

Latest posts