charging for the simple jobs

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dougal

Reaction score
how much do you guys charge for the simple jobs?

for example changing the lamp in a outside security light

you know the jobs that only take 15 mins. or less

per hour, or part thereof.

If they only want me for 15 mins - they pay for 1 hour.

If they can find a couple of other dippy jobs, that can be done in the hour - they pay for 1 hour; unless I`ve quoted for the work beforehand, and allowed more.

To start things rolling you need a minimum charge.

Realistically you are unlikely to drive to the job, do it, get payment and be done in much less than 45 mins - 1 hour. You really need to charge for an hour.

It does depend a bit how far you need to travel and how likely further work is to come from it. Changing the old lady next doors security light bulb charging an hour would be steep!

Remember you can't be earning driving about doing 5 minute jobs - you need to factor that in. Otherwise you spend your days driving around changing bulbs and losing money.....

That all depends

Call out (to do asap) or will wait?

On way home or out of the way?

Old dear or Merc in drive?

One thing I will say though,, If you do it FOC then you will forever get jobs to do which are FOC

Just don't take the P and don't allow them to take the P either.. because one of those lamp changes will become a rewire!

I work on commercial stuff, but have an agreement that the minimum charge is half a day, the theory being that if I have to come off a job, go do th job and come back then they are paying for disruption time as well.

That said I try to encourage my customers to keep a list of non critical jobs so they get the most from us when there.

Bit different in th domestic world I know, but at the end of the day with your training regestrations etc, they have to be paid for.

how much do you guys charge for the simple jobs?for example changing the lamp in a outside security light

you know the jobs that only take 15 mins. or less
Your bottom line mindset has to be..

Are you running a non-profit making charity organisation...

or a business to generate profits to earn a reasonable wage to provide food, clothes & a roof over your head?

If non profit-making charity... just ask for a donation toward your costs.

If you are running a business then consider it just the same as any other job...

i.e.

Evaluate amount of time you think you need to do the job.

Any materials you may need... screws fixings, connectors sleeve etc..

How much travelling / fuel costs are...

etc..

etc..

IMHO a minimum cost for someone to use my knowledge skills and expertise for a small period of time on a simple one-off job, with no quoting for other work, and no other prospective work likely, would be around

Last edited by a moderator:
Your bottom line mindset has to be..Are you running a non-profit making charity organisation...

or a business to generate profits to earn a reasonable wage to provide food, clothes & a roof over your head?

If non profit-making charity... just ask for a donation toward your costs.

If you are running a business then consider it just the same as any other job...

i.e.

Evaluate amount of time you think you need to do the job.

Any materials you may need... screws fixings, connectors sleeve etc..

How much travelling / fuel costs are...

etc..

etc..

IMHO a minimum cost for someone to use my knowledge skills and expertise for a small period of time on a simple one-off job, with no quoting for other work, and no other prospective work likely, would be around

in my experience for little jobs such as replacing light fittings, like for like, i usually make it clear to the customer that if they wait a day or two and dont mind me coming round at t-time on my way home i can do the job cheaper, they usually jump at that and i always charge an odd figure, i.e.

note to special location

i did something very similar last week, i had just finished a kitchen refurb when the lady asked me how much to replace the centre light for a chrome bar spot light thing,

me, 'ohh well as i'm here how about

note to special locationi did something very similar last week, i had just finished a kitchen refurb when the lady asked me how much to replace the centre light for a chrome bar spot light thing,

me, 'ohh well as i'm here how about

that is rediculous!!

has anyone come accross the basic crap range at b+q? A guy asked me how much to change 4. I said 60quid got his address and he lived on an army barracks round the corner from me. Cut a long story short, I turned up, all the lights were on recessed conduit boxes nice and really easy, I said call it 50quid as I was putting the last light up 'armed forces discount' broke that last light and ended up charging 40quid.

Gutted!

The adjuster arm that swivels the spot just crumbled in my hand! Couldnt really tell from a far.