down lights on ring main

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tom1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
removing a light fitting and putting in 7 down lights = 350 watts - the 100 watts from the old light so 250 watts, stupied thing was i did not get a proper look at the bord, its only a 2 bed and i think its unlikly that the circuit will be fully loaded, its prob split into 2 separate circuits but if it is can anyone see a prob with taking a 3 amp fuse off the ring and wiring to that, i could go the 10amp mcb rout but just considering options. thinking maybe a lable on the cu saying the lights are on the ring

thanks

You think the extra 250w will overload the existing circuit? What sort of lights have they got? We have all our bayonets with low energy jobbies (ie low wattage).

You need to see what's used and what's available.

Personally I wouldn't put lights on a ring. Your RCD trips and you could potentially be left in darkness in that room with no means for back up. To get to maximum load on a B6 you're looking at 1380W. Take 350 off that and you're still left with 1Kw. OK, so you don't want to get right up to full load but in a 2 bed with 2 lighting circuits you'd be hard pushed to get near full capacity. On the other hand if it only has 1 lighting circuit you would be pushing it.

But I still wouldn't put lights on a socket circuit. It's bad practice.

Also have you looked at the new low energy down lighters instead too? I know they are more expensive but cmr may feel they are "doing their bit" and should save money on lekky bill too.

ianmacd yer thought about the low energy, he wont be able to put high watt bulbs in after i am gone will he.

apache thats the thing i dont think it will but stuped me forgot to look

its a new build an the cu is the biggest i have ever seen in a house so realisticly it should be 2 circuits, but u never know

What "someone" does afterwards is, sadly uncontrollable, unless you get special fittings with a modified base (GY10??), that has a keyway to stop standard bulbs being fitted.

As far as inrush is concerned, it depends on the specific type of lamp in question. CFL do, as they have PFC gear which must saturate. Halogen and LED don`t.

Hope that helps

KME

it dose thank u. the lights i have priced for can come with 30 watt bulbs so will get them if i use them lights that would make it 210 then - the original fitting makes it 110, this is looking beter, and if he goes and replaces them with 50watt bulbs it might just be darker than he expected

Forther, as Couldeddie says, you`re highly unlikely to cause an issue with loading to a standard lighting cct, especially in a 2 bed property. You may even be able to convince `em they should have 2 lighting ccts; up & down (more work, goody) - {yeah, then find the landing light has a borrowed neutral - Grrrrrrrr baddy.}

why do people borrow neutral. is it just an old way or has it always been naughty.

this might sound stuped but i should ask instead of dasy chain the lights with switch live and neutral, would it not be better to take 3 cables out of the junction box thats in the middle of the room each to 2 or 3 lights

why do people borrow neutral. is it just an old way or has it always been naughty.this might sound stuped but i should ask instead of dasy chain the lights with switch live and neutral, would it not be better to take 3 cables out of the junction box thats in the middle of the room each to 2 or 3 lights
i m honest opinion its better to borrow neutral than to steal or theive it :^O :^O:^O:coat

Forther, as Couldeddie says, you`re highly unlikely to cause an issue with loading to a standard lighting cct, especially in a 2 bed property. You may even be able to convince `em they should have 2 lighting ccts; up & down (more work, goody) - {yeah, then find the landing light has a borrowed neutral - Grrrrrrrr baddy.}
Yeah, borrowed neutral headbangheadbang. That's why I have no landing light at present. And I thought changing my CU would be so easy :( .

They're just a lazy way of getting a neutral to an upstairs light when it's on the downstairs circuit. Shouldn't happen these days.

i m honest opinion its better to borrow neutral than to steal or theive it :^O :^O:^O:coat
So that's why you have all those CCTV cameras. I didn't know your neutrals meant so much to you :p