Advice on home hookup

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlexG

Reaction score
Hi there,

New to the forum and looking for some advice.  Just moved into a new house in a very rural location.  It is still connected to the grid though.  I was thinking of getting a wind turbine, but don't want a big one, and I've had an idea that I'd like to know if it's even possible to do.

I read that a 2KW wind turbine would produce around 4300KWh per year (depending on wind speeds).  When I was at my last house I used around 10300KWh per year.  So I thought I would get 3 turbines and connect them together.  That should give me enough power to run completely off grid.  Is that doable?  I guess I would need a battery storage unit as well, to store the power I'm not using.

Ideally I would like to maintain my mains connection so that I can automatically switch over to grid power when I am not generating enough power.

Is the above all possible?  Would it be expensive to setup?

Thanks

Alex

I don't know the rules for turbines, if they are the same as for PV?  @binky?

Certainly with PV you only have a "right" to connect 3.6kW of generation without seeking prior permission from the DNO who may make a charge for a network upgrade and some even make a charge to tell you.

I don't know the rules for turbines, if they are the same as for PV?  @binky?
 It's not something I get involved with either.  However, the grid connection side will be no different, 16A max unless given permission to backfeed more by your DNO. The answer to overcoming that is an Inverter that can be limited to 16A to make it G99 compliant. If the plan is to be off grid, then that wouldn't matter, you would just need a 'changeover switch' on the incoming supply and inverters that aren't 'grid connected' which must not be abe to back feed the grid. Personally, I reckon the cost of batteries at around £6k for 10 kW pack, probably offsets any savings gained from such a set up, ie would take a long time to pay for themselves, but, at 10,000kWh per annum and say 20p per kWh you are looking at around £2k a year. That's quite a reasonable amount of money to target. A combination of wind and solar is probably best bet to cover those odd spells when we get little wind. 

The other thing with wind turbines is that you may need planning permission. 

It's certainly something that can be done, and the joy of wind is that it works at night and mid winter, but like all green tech, it can be unreliable, so worth doing all the eother little things like changing lamps to LED, buying A rated appliances etc etc, to reduce energy demand in the first place. 

Also remember to factor in maintenance and breakdowns of your turbine, unlike PV they do need a bit more attention.

I am no expert in any of this stuff..

BUT..  the old guidance phrase as used by my granny..

"DON'T PUT ALL OF YOUR EGGS IN ONE BASKET"

Still tends to be true even in all this Carbon neutral, Net Zero, Greeen, Eco world..

As Binky suggested..

Try and spread supply options across as many sources as possible..

Not just a single option..

Guinness  

I would also think a single turbine on a taller mast would work better. The cleaner the airflow, which you get from height above sheds and trees etc, the better they work.

These pair of wind turbines have been up for a few years, so getting planning can't be that hard as this is in a conservation area of the South Hams 

https://goo.gl/maps/iAoBWHKsTsZVxR7C6