Necessary or hypocritical?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-59045851

so we are being advised to fly less by those that fly the world for meetings? 

what do we think? 
 I think the biggest issue with cheap flying is that it now encourages people to fly multiple times a year. I was listening to the radio the other day, and people were moaning about the additional costs of covid tests putting up the cost of going abroad for the half term holidays. People seem to think nultiple foreign holidays is a 'right' not a priveldge these days - that needs to stop in my opinion. On average one flight a year doubles your carbon footprint, but before Covid there was something like 2,000,000 people flying every day, so yes, it does seem hypocritical to fly for a meeting, but that's a very small additonal amount of carbon compared to the general amount of flying that goes on these days. There's also nothing like talking to people in person - there's only so much you can achieve over zoom, which I would assume happens a lot prior to such meetings. The real answer is carbon neutral aircraft fuel, like hydrogen, which I believe is coming soon(ish). 

Personally I fly about once every 2 years. The rest of my holidays are spent in the UK, or popping over to France on the ferry. 

If you havn't watched these yet, BBC4 has 2 series, 'The earthshot prize' and 'Restoring the earth' . Worth a look if you want to understand a little more about can and is being done, and the complex nature of the environment. I particularly enjoyed the 'Restoring the earth' series (3 episodes), it's amazing what can be done in only 20/30 years and offers some good news and hope for a change.