outside lights

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paul b b

Reaction score
Evening Gents,

I have to go to a job tomorrow and wanted to talk a few things through.

The guy wants 3 outside lights, the will be on the fence the other side of the drive so swa is needed.

I was thinking, bring t&e from cu to outside (1.5?) to a ip rated box, then swa under ground (1.5? it will be about 3 meters) then another ip rated box, now i suppose i depends on what type of light he wants (i know he wants pir) if i can run conduit in as it may look naff if he has fancy lights. is it ok to run t&e on a fence? and is it best to get a stand alone pir sensor?

whilst on the subject, can a sensor run any light? i suppose it just like a switch.

can you chaps confirm the above is ok, or if you have any sugestions i would be most greatful.

paul

SWA under ground. Don't use T&E on the fence or outside, sunlight will eventually affect the insulation . I think I'd use black PVC conduit on the fence, what it looks like does not come into it .

r.e PIR & types of light. Some PIRs have issues with low loads e.g. CFL or LED. They can refuse to fire, or not put the light out once it`s lit. Also, remember that discharge (incl. CFL) needs 1.8 x wattage for startup currents.

KME

p.s. I`d prob. use SWA all the way to the locale of the light, then short final connection via flex (rubber or artic).

I was of the impression that ALL pvc, when subjected to solar radiation, lost it`s plasticiser, rendering it UPVC.

Logic would have dictated, therefore, that black, which absorbs more of the sun`s rays, would have been more prone to this????

Where did you get the bit about it being alright from, Deke?