DONT STAY LURKING AS A GUEST,

JOIN TEF AND BENEFIT FROM MEMBERSHIP:

CLICK HERE TO JOIN.

ADS issues

avinalarf

Question

Evening all

If someone has a re-wireable CU and no RCD protection there is NO ADS is there?

If that's the case, what's their method of fault protection/indirect contact protection?

confused...

5 answers to this question

No protection as far as I am aware.

AndyGuiness Drink

It would still be ADS, as long as supply is TN, and earthing (incl CPC) is correct. Fault current would be sufficient to take out 3036 (presumably, as long as max Zs was confirmed at time of installation)

Automatic Disconnection of Supply (in the event of a fault) would occur, as the large current circulated by the earth would be enough to blow the protective device.

Consider, for example, a commercial premises; say a hotel. Their rooms are individually fed from a busbar, on a rewirable 800A fuse (no rcd). That circuit, technically a sub-main, is still subject to 7671 in entirety, including ADS

That help, Nat??

KME

My interpretation of the regs is that for ADS, all final circuits need to be protected by a 30ma RCD and all incoming services bonded with the correct sized MEBC's (usually 10mm). If there are circuits without RCD protection then I would class the installation as EEBADS and check for supplementary bonding as CJS said.

Archived