Retired electrician

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greenmoss

Reaction score
I haven't worked as an electrician for 30 years but have B and C certificates in Electrical Installaton. I want to replace my daughter's consumer unit. What requirements are placed on me.

Have you kept up with the changes to the requirements over the last thirty years with regard to electrical installations.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your profile says you are in Merseyside, in which case as well as a BS7671 electrical certificate the work will need a Part-P building regulations compliance certificate. 

You can download a free copy of the Part P building regs guidance.  https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/electrical-safety-approved-document-p

If you are unable to issue an 18th edition compliant electrical certificate, you will either have to employee someone to do the work and certify & notify the work for you.

Or you can do the work yourself then pay you local council building control to come and test inspect & certify it for you.

You cant download a free copy of the current wiring regs, so if you don't have access to a copy, you would have to either borrow one from a library or buy a copy yourself.

Doc H.

Thank you everyone who has provided advice so far. I haven't kept up with all the changes in regs but it will be the testing requirements that will evade me for now. I'm not sure if my old insulation tester and earth loop impedance tester is suitable.

Your insulation continuity tester should be fine provided it is calibrated. My earth fault loop tester which I use on a daily basis is at least 15 years old, again it should be calibrated to ensure it operates within parameters. You will also require an rcd tester.

I cannot believe the prices of many hundreds of pounds for this equipement.
I agree many people feel the need to "upgrade" to the next level when in fact they are climbing no higher. My so called ancient separate meters are still doing the same job.

Thank you Fleeting for that. Would one of the under £20s be acceptable? 

Put it like this... if they were....

I doubt any of us would have spent significantly more on test equipment..

AND.. paid for regular calibration..

AND.. spent even more on check-boxes or similar type items for doing additional accuracy checks between calibrations..

Have a google of Electrical Check-Boxes..

you can't even get one of those for under £20!!!

e.g.

https://www.cef.co.uk/catalogue/products/4667197-calibration-check-box?

Some of our forum members have suggested that certain aspects of how the electrical industry has developed over the years has become.....

a bit of "A Money Making Gravy Train"!

(I don't think I have so far seen many contradictory posts to this opinion?)

There is an industry PDF guide about test equipment and how accuracy can be verified..

https://www.electricalsafetyfirst.org.uk/media/1208/best-practice-guide-7-issue2.pdf

As mentioned if you only need testers for this one-off project, probably best to just hire one..

As I am guessing, if you knew someone you could borrow a tester off..

you would already be discussing with them the current requirements for a CU change,

and not asking on here?

Also..

Despite many changes over the years..

The laws of physics are still the same...

So if your meters that can measure resistance are still within acceptable tolerances,

then any continuity & insulation resistance readings should be good..

So possibly borrowing a check-box to see how your old meters are performing may be another option?

Welcome by the way..

You probably need to go to our forum virtual bar to mull-over your options..?

three pints or more of the forum's best often helps clear the mind!!! 

Guinness   Guinness Guinness Guinness Guinness

I understand that the Calcard will give me some form of reference for calibrating my 40 year old meters - albeit not close to a standard and verified by those used by practicing licenced electricians.  I will read later the PDF link above.

Thank you for your time and understanding.  

From what I’ve read you only have an earth loop and insulation resistance meters……

how are you planning on testing the RCD’s / RCBO’s??

As others have said, hiring or borrowing one that’s been calibrated would be much easier

I think it's all valid points about the tester, if you know someone in the trade then they might lend you theirs. Or it may be worth looking under the NAPIT's Electrical TPC (Third Party Certification) scheme and see if there is anyone in the area that can come in and inspect and test. 

Additionally, make sure you're up to speed on the correct use of colours and labelling of cores. They have CHANGED a lot in the last 30 years, as I'm sure you're aware, but I'd hate for you to make a mistake based off of how you used to do things. Luckily the technology has advanced enough now that an RCD/RCBO will likely cut out if there is a fault after you change any board.  Make sure you do a ECIR of some degree before changing the CU too otherwise you may find that some circuits won't turn on and you'll leave your daughter in the dark. 

I did read most of the comments, apologies with I'm just repeating some if it. 

Thanks, 

Dan

Latest posts