advice on nvq3 please??

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

derek13

Reaction score
hi all im currently just starting back college to start level 3 city and guilds,but im slightly confused and seem to be getting mixed signals regarding the nvq level 3 course and what it means as regards to becoming an electrician!!

im a 29yr old self funding the course myself as i say currently starting level 3 city and guilds and have a few questions regarding future steps i should take

1: do i need the nvq level 3 in order to become an"electrician"?

2:will not having the nvq go against my chances of finding future employment?

3:do i then need to complete the am2 if i take the nvq course?

4:is it a route worth going down?

5:wat exactly does the nvq do for me?

i really appreciate any replies, as u can see im a bit in the dark regarding qualifications to reach "electrician" satus , the importance og taking the nvq and basically the overall meaning of the nvq

thanks very much once again chaps any help appreciatedheadbang

I discussed this with two seperate lecturers and both of their takes were, if you have experience in the field, then there is no need for the NVQ3 and AM2.

I would like to know from other lecturers and their take on this too.

yeh mate so would i really i would just like to clear it up really too be honest a few of my tutors were really sketchy on their replies its got eveyone stumped i guess lol

Am I right in thinking you need employment to get the NVQ as its work based learning.

yeh u need employment i presume as u have to gather a lot of evidence in photos

I'm not sure whether having the NVQ would hamper your efforts of finding employment, I've been looking for electricians jobs for a while know and most adverts ask for the 2330 or equivalent, 17th edition, and sometimes the 2391. But if your company are willing to pay for it you might as well get it done.

well as i say i pay for the course myself so am reluctant and will struggle to fund the nvq too but if it was something essential then i would ! thanks for ur help

As things stand, to get JIB registered as an electrician and get a CSCS (gold) card you need an NVQ 3, so a JIB company will require you to have an NVQ (or pay you "adult trainee" rate). Some big sites won't let you on without a card.

If you're just doing house-bashing or working for a small company you probably don't need an NVQ, but this could restrict your options when it comes time to move on...

Unfortunately if you're not currently working in the trade you can't do the 2356NVQ as it is site diary based (with some on-site assessments), so all the jobs covered must be from the real world - simulation (ie stuff in the college workshops) doesn't count.

The NVQ comprises 8 units and 65 POs (performance objectives), each PO needs to be covered 3 times on a range of installations using different wiring systems. The AM2 will cover the third entry for 4 units (34 POs) & is an essential part of the NVQ for most candidates.

There is more info on the C&G website

(http://www.cityandguilds.com/Electrotechnical.html) & JIB grading definitions

(http://www.jib.org.uk/gdelec.htm)

Note;- the NVQ level 2 has been dropped in England & Scotland but continues in Wales (no, I don't know why either!)

Am I right in thinking you need employment to get the NVQ as its work based learning.
yea u do need to have a employer to do nvq`s, just completed the nvq myself the guy was telling me he`s lost alot on lads because there getting laid off even if their nearly done.

the nvq 3 is to show u can do the job the regs and 2391 as hard as it is, can be passed by studying not on the tools. ive worked with ppl with all the quals and no idea howto do the job

I'm not sure whether having the NVQ would hamper your efforts of finding employment, I've been looking for electricians jobs for a while know and most adverts ask for the 2330 or equivalent, 17th edition, and sometimes the 2391. But if your company are willing to pay for it you might as well get it done.
if your employer doesnt want u to progress dont bother with them, just wait for the right one to come along

I would advise you to do the NVQ Level 3 to enable you to get JIB registration/graded. You may be able to get funding for this through your local college's Work Based Learning Team via "Train2Gain" funding. Depending on your work experience, you may not need to do the AM2 test, as this is a test normally for apprentices, you may be able to demonstrate through accreditted prior learning and site observations that you are competent in the units of the NVQ. The AM2 is NOT an essential part of the NVQ L3 at the moment, but this is due to change (next year I believe). Although you can still become an electrician without this NVQ, it is advisable to do this NVQ as it would make you more marketable in the current climate and demonstrate to potential employers that you have met the required standards via "real work experience".

If you do go down the NVQ route, try and keep your paperwork as detailed and logical as possible. It will save you a lot of time when you have your assessor and IV (Internal Verifier) meetings. If it is detailed you will also be able to prove your objectives.

We use to get the apprentices to do a simple ref page at the start of their evidence portfolio to show where in the portfolio the different PO's (performance objectives) were met. This makes the assessors & IV's job a lot easier and you get a lot less hassle. The assessor is suppose to check all the evidence and from what I remember the IV checks 10%, so they want to find the evidence quickly especially if they have a load of candidates portfolios to check.

Good luck and let us know what happens.

Steve

Hi Mate

If you check on the JIB web site it tells you exactly what you need, to become an electrician you need the 2330 tech cert, NVQ3 and the 17th IEE.

I am a training officer looking after the NVQ's for electricians.

Hi MateIf you check on the JIB web site it tells you exactly what you need, to become an electrician you need the 2330 tech cert, NVQ3 and the 17th IEE.

I am a training officer looking after the NVQ's for electricians.
Welcome to the forum.

It's good to have you on-board.

doing mine at the moment ......

it's a right pain writing it up into usable chunks.