Can’t install smart meter

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McLeod2305

Reaction score
My gas company came to install a smart meter but said they can’t because of a black box I have (photo included) I was told I need to get an electrician to remove it. Is this true? If so is it a big job and how much is it likely to cost me? https://pasteboard.co/EMXjAlPZlNw6.jpg

That black box appears to be an old service head which will require the Network operator to remove/change. 
however it shouldn’t interfere with a meter install? 
can you take a broader picture so we can see rest of set up? 

As others have said, the problem does not seem to be that the black unit is there (which is the service head, needs to be there, should be there, and belongs to the distribution company) but rather that the fuse carrier is damaged and needs attention before they can pull the fuse to change the meter. This will have to be done by the distribution company, but will be FOC as its their equipment to maintain.

If you tell us where in country are, someone will be able to tell you who your DNO is, alternativly if you ring 105 it should connect yoyu to them, and follow the options for you want to report a damaged or dangerous equiment on their network and just tell them that the service head is cracked and you are worried that it might get worse and expose live parts, if it has ever smelt hot or made any crackling sounds then tell them this too

its broken so meter installer wont touch it. your electrician cant either, thats not something were allowed to work on. either you or meter company need to call your local DNO and get them to fix / replace it. call 105, report service head broken and thell arange for tis repair (it wont cost you)

cracking like that is often heat damage, might be that you have a small rating fuse, or you are using a lot of power

Thank you everyone for your replies, I am in Birmingham

The old Midlands electricity board area, which is now operated by western power distribution (basically the country is divided up into the same regions that the old area electricity boards were devided along, but now its privatised some companies operative the distribution for serveral areas but the boundries are as they always were)

Either google for WPD fault line or ring 105

The old Midlands electricity board area, which is now operated by western power distribution (basically the country is divided up into the same regions that the old area electricity boards were devided along, but now its privatised some companies operative the distribution for serveral areas but the boundries are as they always were)

Either google for WPD fault line or ring 105
I have contacted western power and they said the soonest they can come out is February. Will the service head be ok until then or does it need looking at sooner? 

Latest posts