LED's

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seajayess

Reaction score
Ok people can you help me out?

Constant current driver's you wire the LED's in series, Constant voltage are wired in paralel.

Now I know that if you wire Constant current in paralel the LED's work (as long as thats how the LED's are supposed to be wired) will this damage the driver? Why do they make them this way is one way better under certain condition's thanks CJS

A constant voltage LED driver will output exactly 12.0V DC. 12V LED spotlight bulbs and other 12V powered LED units can be connected in parallel to such a driver. Thanks to the parallel connections, if one bulb dies, the remaining bulbs will stay on.

A constant current LED driver will output a fixed current - for example, 350mA models are available for use with 1 Watt LED bulbs. The bulbs must be connected in series to such a device.

The Boys

A constant voltage LED driver will output exactly 12.0V DC. 12V LED spotlight bulbs and other 12V powered LED units can be connected in parallel to such a driver. Thanks to the parallel connections, if one bulb dies, the remaining bulbs will stay on.A constant current LED driver will output a fixed current - for example, 350mA models are available for use with 1 Watt LED bulbs. The bulbs must be connected in series to such a device.

The Boys
Yes I know this but what I want to know

1 if you connect paralel to constant current will it damage the driver

2 what are the advantages it cant just be what you have stated

CJS

Yes I know this but what I want to know1 if you connect parallel to constant current will it damage the driver

2 what are the advantages it cant just be what you have stated

CJS
1 Constant voltage LEDS are fitted with current limiting resistors, constant current LEDS rely on the supply to limit the current.

2 LEDS can be selected for Illumination Intensity matching at a given current.

Parallel LEDs must have closely matched forward voltages (Vf) in order to have equal branch currents and, therefore, equal light output. Variations in the manufacturing process can make it difficult to obtain satisfactory operation when connecting some types of LEDs in parallel

The Godfather