MikeC

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueMike856

Reaction score
I have tried to install a one gang smart light switch (no Neutral) so just the two wires, I connected the red (live) to L and the Black to L2 on the new switch (these are the only two available). However, the black wire has brown tape on it and the switch is not working. I looked up the reason for the brown tape but just cannot get my head around it and I'm even more confused now!

Can someone please explain why this isn't working and what I have to do?

If the ‘smart’ switch/dimmer needs a neutral you’ve got a problem there whatever the two wires are (almost certainly live and switched live and in normal 1 way switch /dimmer use it doesn’t really matter which way round they go in C and L1) 

If the ‘smart’ switch/dimmer needs a neutral you’ve got a problem there whatever the two wires are (almost certainly live and switched live and in normal 1 way switch /dimmer use it doesn’t really matter which way round they go in C and L1) 
Thanks for getting back to me mush appreciated, the switch is a no neutral wire required type I made this clear to the supplier when I ordered it, I have posted photos of the set up now.

Ah. With the pics:  all you can do is put the existing wires in, One in L where there seems to be a screw and L2 (oddly) which also seems to have a screw.

Unless you can check at the light fitting it’s hard to say what colour runs there (the L1/2/3 wire) but it shouldn’t matter functionally.  

I’d put my money on red as L but without testing it’s only a guess .    

The smart switch likely gets its power by tapping into the light circuit current when it’s on or off.  That does need a light in the fitting to happen and it’s worth trying an old fashioned bulb if it’s not immediately working with an LED lamp 

Can’t quite see what’s happening with the earths but if the switch has a metal front it needs linking to the cable and box 

Latest posts