Shading and a wee puzzle for you

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Delhk

Reaction score
I have 16 panels 

2 x 8 strings (in series) 

On string 2 the first and second panels are severely shaded by a neighbouring chimney for half the day. 

The question(s) I have is... 

1. If panel 1&2 is shaded I understand thier performance will be impacted... But will the other six panels be impacted (as they come AFTER the first in second from positive series connection) 

2. Can I wire up a series / parallel hybrid... Like the image attached. What would be the best solution to the issue of the two panels being shaded.  What is imoact to volts amps etc in the inverter. 

There you go a nice wee Sunday puzzle for you ☺ panel wiringseriesp.jpg

If the chimney is a fair distance from the array I doubt it will cause much trouble. But to answer the question we need the Inverter spec. What you are proposing will double the ampage the MPPT will see. That may or may not be an issue.

Blinky you are the guru for sure ☺ and I genuinely owe you a pint... 

It's a sofar solar hyd5000es

Tech details are here. But I think you are looking at the max DC input current? 

DSC_0006.JPG

so you have a max 12A imput current on the DC side, your panels run at 10.92 A, so if you configure the wiring the way you want to, you would be trying to input 21.84A - won't like it!  :^O