Fire stopping

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jc1996

Reaction score
Hi can someone shine the light on the regulations regarding fire stopping. I know a lot of people seal cable entries on CU with fire rated sealant but I was under the impression this isn’t a requirement? When is it actually needed in a domestic installation? If I was to say run an armoured outside through a wall would this then require sealing. Just looking for some guidance as these a lot of misleading info out there. 

thanks guys! 

consumer units shall be non flammable, or something like that. there isnt anything saying the entry points needs to be fire sealed though

youll need fire barriers / seals if you go through a compartment. as a general rule, if there's fire doors youll need to be sealing whatever goes into the room

There are multiple answers for this depending on age of construction and what existing fire stopping is in place. Modern construction should incorporate barriers and whether you have breached them or not will require a fair amount of construction knowledge and the knowledge of how to reinstate it. It is extremely doubtful that your average electrician or any electrician for that matter will use the correct products and methods to correctly reinstate a breach. This off the shelf foam etc....... wholesalers sell is what it is, useless.

Last edited by a moderator: