Advice on running main bonding in Domestic

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luckyboy

Reaction score
Hi all

Recently did an EICR and found no main bonding to gas or water.

Customer has agreed for remedial works.

Flat is circa 1960's, all circuits run in PVC singles with the metal conduit as the cpc 

Walls/ceilings are concrete and the gas meter is in the kitchen cupboard, the other side of the hallway from the consumer unit.

What would be your advice to run in the 10mm main bonding conductors?

I was thinking to surface mount some PVC 20mm electrical conduit up vertically from the consumer unit, across the ceiling and down to the kitchen cupboard, bond to gas then straight onto the water stopcock under another kitchen cabinet - not the best looking, but at least it's white and safe?!

Let me know your thoughts and suggestions, please :)

Have you tested the pipe work to see if it is already bonded?

In older flats it is not uncommon for the gas and water to be bonded at the point where it comes into the building within the landlords area/riser. 

Have you tested the pipe work to see if it is already bonded?

In older flats it is not uncommon for the gas and water to be bonded at the point where it comes into the building within the landlords area/riser. 

Good shout! I'll be there tomorrow so will check.

Do the regulations state whether the main bonding HAS to be after the gas meter/intake and the water mains stopcock? Or can it be downstream?

what does 544.1 say about it?
“The main protective bonding connection to any extraneous-conductive-part such as gas, water or other metallic pipework or service shall be made as near as practicable to the point of entry of that part into the premises. Where there is a meter, isolation point or union, the connection shall be made to the consumer’s hard metal pipework and before any branch pipework. Where practicable the connection shall be made within 600 mm of the meter outlet union or at the point of entry to the building if the meter is external“