Electrics suddenly switch off

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tonymids

Reaction score
Hi everyone

I wondered if anyone could help me with a problem that has occurred in our house. The electric shower suddenly turned off while in use this morning and we assumed it was a fault with that. We didn’t switch it off on the panel and 10 minutes later the water started flowing again and it was warm.

This evening the same happened again but at the same time the hairdryer that my wife was using suddenly stopped mid-use. Again, the shower started to work again after 10- minutes and it took the same amount of time for the hair dryer to kick in again. None of the fuses flicked in the box and we are a bit confused what is going on. We intend to call an electrician but was after a heads up of what this problem could be in advance. Many thanks, Tony

probably a loose connection. best get it looked at asap, if it is, this can easily overheat and start a fire

any fishy smells around your consumer unit?

Thanks Andy, appreciate your response - no smells, just the sudden cut outs. I’ll make sure we chase it up ASAP.

Thanks Andy, appreciate your response - no smells, just the sudden cut outs. I’ll make sure we chase it up ASAP.

A basic concept that may help you understand is that electricity ALWAYS generates some heat as it flows through a circuit..

Items consuming more power will generate more heat than lower power items..

(e.g. Table lamp, TV, Computer, Phone charger consume minimal power compared to Showers, Cookers, Heaters etc..)

All cables should be a suitable size and all cable joints should be mechanically sound to prevent this heat from causing damage to either the cables or the equipment.

If you have a poor joint with a loose joint connection..

although the appliance(s) may work, over the course of time the joint can become damaged due to excessive heat building up...

So your type of symptoms where something works.. 

then a joint overheats and stops working..

then cools down and starts working again..

Are not uncommon..

BUT as highlighted they can become a serious fire hazard if not attended to.

The best course of action is to get it professionally checked ASAP.

:coffee     

Last edited by a moderator:
I’ve sent a request for quotes/a show of interest to do the work over checkatrade. I’ve had a response from one guy but he can’t come until next Thursday and that seems too far away given the advice you’ve given to me so I’ll chase some more up in the morning.

I’ve sent a request for quotes/a show of interest to do the work over checkatrade. I’ve had a response from one guy but he can’t come until next Thursday and that seems too far away given the advice you’ve given to me so I’ll chase some more up in the morning.

As a word or caution...  Check-A-Trade is one of many similar internet services where the "Vetted Reputable Contractors" have to pay to be listed on their site..

(so there can be a conflict of interest around the concept of:-  why would Check-A-Trade want to remove any member who is paying them money?)

If you go to Companies house website and search for a company called "VETTED LTD".

https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/04285394

you will find they are the business trading as "Check-A-Trade.Com"..

(Also appear to be associated with the "HomeServe" network judging by some of the directors names/contact details).

Also from:  https://www.checkatrade.com/contact-us

"Checkatrade is a trading name of Vetted Limited. Company registered in England and Wales, Registration number 4285394 Registered Office: Checkatrade, Building 2000, Lakeside North Harbour, Western Road, Portsmouth, PO6 3EN VAT Number 781 5719 02"

While there may be some decent contractors listed on there...

Many established, reputable, good quality trades persons would have no need whatsoever to pay significant membership fees, to be listed on such a site..

Basic rules of business..

ALL advertising costs money..

TV advertising is much more expensive than basic local papers, doorstep flyers..

and...

The more links there are in the chain to more its costs the customer..

Check-A-Trade MUST be paying for those expensive TV adverts somehow..  While still making a profit as a business,  who pays???

e.g.

Customer -> Contractor:  One person pays and one person needs to be paid.

Customer -> Check-A-Trade -> Contractor:  One person pays, but TWO people need to be paid!.

Any half decent contractor will have work booked up in his/her diary..

Only larger businesses may have staff available to do urgent same day or next day call-out work..

If a smaller business is able to come round tomorrow..   they are probably not very good!!!

But a smaller trader may offer better personal service.   

and many of the social media sites offer a platform for free advertising..

so word-of-mouth and social media can be equal to, or better than the "Check-A-Trade" type sites. 

Guinness   

Last edited by a moderator:

best option would be asking around for a recommendation or simply google local electricians and start phoning them

likes of checkatrade etc are not as good as they might appear

There are many comments on why not to contact Check-a-Trade (with which I agree), but few on where to go! I would recomend NAPIT or NICEIC who each run a register of their approved electricians. You might also goto Nextdoor.co.uk and ask your neighbours if it operates in your area.

It does sound like a loose connection on the incoming supply given more than one circuit is effected, so either on the main switch terminals or the cut out if the tails have been moved or disturbed.