boilers

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paul b b

Reaction score
evening gents,

just a thought on wiring in a boiler, is it just a case of 16a mcb to FCU then heat proof flex to boiler, or is it a lot more complicated, like having loads of sensors and stats? what part of a boiler instilation is a sparkies job and how much do the plumbers do?

thanks

depends on type of system and plumber, combi's easy, s and y plans needs a bit of thinking and some require a large amount of head scratching. some do their own others wouldnt touch it.

unless its a big system it be on need 3amps

google 'S and Y plan Honeywell' systems and look for the lovely honeywell diagrams, its a good thing to get your head around as some do not want to touch it.

i think i did see some diagrams on this forum actually

Just as Wozz says. Some plumbers doing their own wiring ,some just ask for a spur next to the boiler, others use a sparks. If you are wiring controls for plumber say remote programmer, frost stat, room stat,diverter valve, cylinder stat, always insist he supplies a wiring diagram to suit the system.

We can't tell what system hes put in and we are not there to design it anyway.

Generally these days most systems I do are not straight forward and require a bit of thinking about. If you can do a few straight forward ones to start with that will help, then when you get the jist of how it all works you can cope better with the more complicated ones. I still struggle with them at times.

Batty

Again good advice from Wozz, just add that if they supply and fit say, all Honeywell devices, wiring is usually easy. Some , however, supply a different make for each device and you are spending your time matching the wiring to them, which is a pain.

Deke

Again good advice from Wozz, just add that if they supply and fit say, all Honeywell devices, wiring is usually easy. Some , however, supply a different make for each device and you are spending your time matching the wiring to them, which is a pain.Deke
cudnt agree more today i was wiring a system from a honeywell diagram and the only honeywell device was the frost stat!!

Just to add...

New central heating control wiring is notifiable work under Part-P building reg's. even if kitchens & bathrooms are avoided.

Ref Page 9. approved document P. Additional notes, bullet point 'n.'

which is another reason why some plumbers / heating eng's pass it on to registered electricians...

or use combi boiler with NO external controls..

or use wireless controls!

;) :|

Just to add...New central heating control wiring is notifiable work under Part-P building reg's. even if kitchens & bathrooms are avoided.

Ref Page 9. approved document P. Additional notes, bullet point 'n.'

which is another reason why some plumbers / heating eng's pass it on to registered electricians...

or use combi boiler with NO external controls..

or use wireless controls!

;) :|
Also to add:

if you're doing the wiring because a new boiler is being installed, then the plumber will be notifying the boiler installation. This notification includes the associated controls, so there is no need to seperately notify the wiring through your scheme.

If there's no new boiler going in (say an upgrade from gravity to Y plan but the boiler is okay) then the new controls need to be notified by yourself.

I always use a Honeywell wiring centre and follow the Honeywell wiring diagrams. Loose choc blocks in a back box are just sloppy work afaiac.

Also I always fit all flexes with cord end terminals. I go to no end of CH problems caused by flex ends broken by the threads on the terminal screws. See 526.8