fancy bathroom

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

musicspark

Reaction score
Hi chaps

I have been asked to do a bathroom with underfloor heating, a plinth round the bath with recessed up lights, and two banks of downlights on dimmers in the ceiling.

A; heating; Can anyone recommend a good brand of 3mm heating cable?

has anybody used this?

http://www.heatmat.co.uk/

will I require a new circuit from the CU or can I run this from a fused spur from the nearest ring?

B; lights; I am somewhat at a loss here, I know you can get dimmable transformers for 12v - but how to operate them?

1 gang switch + double dimmer switch outside the room defeats the object of the excercise; while three pullswitches would be equally clumsy

Ideas please!

I have recently installed underfloor heating, warmup I think the name was. I came of the ring via a fused spur outlet which went to the thermostat then went to the heated floor.

Not sure about the lights but I know you can get dimmable pull cords.

Heating. Get floor heating kit from wholesalers , as Meady says, Warmup is one make. Fed it from the ring but must have RCD.

Dimming pull switches are crap IMO. So wall switch outside is only way,also on RCD. Why you want dimmed lights in the bathroom is beyond me, but if thats what they want, its dimmable trannies or mains fittings. Lights in plinth on floor , what zone is that, need to be low voltage or the LED things.

Afterthought , power the heating mat before the tiles are laid with someone to witness that it gets warm !!

I used to have a remote dimmer in the lounge worked of Infra red handset.Obviously mount the recever as high as possible to the ceiling.

how big is the bathroom? if the switch is outside the zones, and in your opinion will not be adversely affected by the enviroment i would try and sell them a lutron double dimmer, with a remote (Vposh) and then a swithc for the plinths. Alternatively GET 3gang ultimate flat plate digital dimmers with remote with a switch in the third gang.

If you cant put the switch in the room possibly a GET wireless smart lighting system?

Heating. Get floor heating kit from wholesalers , as Meady says, Warmup is one make. Fed it from the ring but must have RCD.Dimming pull switches are crap IMO. So wall switch outside is only way,also on RCD. Why you want dimmed lights in the bathroom is beyond me, but if thats what they want, its dimmable trannies or mains fittings. Lights in plinth on floor , what zone is that, need to be low voltage or the LED things.

Afterthought , power the heating mat before the tiles are laid with someone to witness that it gets warm !!
Hi Mr Evans,

Usual dead tests should cover you without powering up before tiling,i have heard of uncovered heat cable burning out when not all installed under and in tiling. Just a thought mate. :|

Hi Mr Evans,

Usual dead tests should cover you without powering up before tiling,i have heard of uncovered heat cable burning out when not all installed under and in tiling. Just a thought mate. :|
Yes, I should have been more clear, a continuity test as you say, its just a thing I started to do with certain builders, power on for very short period, get builder to agree that it gets hot prior to tiling and to stop everyone walking on it till the tiling is done. Builders do not understand continuity tests.

Had a couple that did'nt work , obviously the sparks fault say the builders, so thats what I do.

Good stuff chaps thank you for your thoughts

Sirsparkabit; the plinth lights will be Zone 2, I would have thought

Latest posts