ir on ring main

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tom1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
insulation test on ring came up with 59M ohms

looked at his last nic eice cert dated 2 year back he got 200M ohm

its the old stranded cable i advised he should replace it befor he decorates.

thats a big deteriation i wonder if the last guy even did the test and why he left in the stranded cable

the cu was a bit strange as well,

rcd, 2 16a radals 1 socket each,

1 16a garage,

32a cooker,

every other socket on 32a,

non rcd

light circits

and a 50a shower :|

tom there is nothing wrong with the ir its well within the 1meg allowed. this reading could indicate dampness in the walls, something plugged in.I would only start to worry when it gets to 2 megs

also nothing wrong with stranded

yer it just seemed a big drop for 2 years but like u say could be damp. i did my best to unplug everything but its always a pain when its not a new installation, i did p+n to earth just in case i missed something.

just the shower i recomended an rcbo, they are always tight though,

Did you test it 2 yrs ago when it was >200M? If not, I would be dubious about the reading. I have come across situations where the readings are falsely put down;) Nothing wrong with 59M though. Not brilliant but hey, the cables are donkeys yrs old.

yer it just seemed a big drop for 2 years but like u say could be damp. i did my best to unplug everything but its always a pain when its not a new installation, i did p+n to earth just in case i missed something.just the shower i recomended an rcbo, they are always tight though,
Hi Tom, should'nt the lights go on an RCBO too ? (17th ed)--- or maybe the cables are buried deeper than 50mm etc.

well it was 2007 when the work was done 17th came in 2008,

Latest posts