Is this drill any good?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You still need batterys and a charger for this drill, its the batterys that cost the money.

its not going to do massive holes quickly and may not last that long it you do. But if you already have the battery and charger its not bad value in my opinion. ive got a similar set up with 18v dewalt. Good enough for most things except 20mm+or if its very hard. then its time to get the 110v out. To take the strain off the lowly 18v i also try to only use hilti bits as they fly through.

id go for it if the makita 18v is anything like the dewalt, just dont expect too much from it.

I wouldnt rate it as ure main cordless sds, not going to be able to do a great deal with it

ive got a Hilti and swear by it.

Although i do tend to get the 110v bosch out though as im normally on site

nothing intensive... mainly 5.5mm holes. probably the biggest holes i'd drill is 25mm.. and that would be very rare.

Just looking down the spec list..

• Rotary hammer action
  • Rotary only action

I cant see any Hammer only, AKA Rotary Stop, option?

:( :( :(

If the drill was any good and I was buying it i think I would like a Hammer only option for the odd bit of chiselling etc...

you know when you have to odd spare 10 mins during lunch to chip out the olde statue from the offcut from the marble fireplace!!!! :p :^O:^O:^O

ROTFWL

:coat

sorry i gave you the wrong link, the one im looking at has hammer only, few quid more that's all.

TBH the english drill or should I say tool mareket is far behind.

I use mainly dewalt however if you need a first class tool look out for the Festool range.

However be prepaired to pay for them, but like they say you get what you pay for.

They are expensive but you will go far to better them.

With the new regulations for air polution, dust control etc they are the dogs ********.

All tools they supply are extracted and comply with all the relevent regulations to date.

The clutch and torque settings are all electrical

sorry i gave you the wrong link, the one im looking at has hammer only, few quid more that's all.
you ikle ****** you!!!! X( :eek: ; \

trying to confuse us old-us.. postin wrong links.....

makin us feel we is going senile!!!:pBlushing

I may have to call the Don to get his boys to come any put you right about addin proper links!!!!!!! :eek:

ROTFWLROTFWLROTFWLROTFWLROTFWL

I would say all of the Makita kit I have had over the years, I have been satisfied with...

At the end of the day....

If it has the spec you are looking for...

and it is within your budget....

Makita on the whole are as good a make as most other "reputable" quality tools IMHO.

but as GH points out...

You get what you pay for with features, battery life, reliability etc..

Guiness Drink

I have the mains version with rotary stop function. Cant fault it, used loads of times got the box cutters saves loads of time;)

if it was a normal drill / driver I'd say go with the 18V version but for the SDS drills not sure..... :| :| think I would stick with 230V as Ive found in the past if your batteries are dead or low ... you always have a back up ;) ; )

Guiness Drink

I have an old 24 volt DeWalt with a burned out motor thanks to the regular abuse I have given it.

The fact that it is burned out would testify that I have found it a usefull tool and used it to its max.

If you are an apprentice you will struggle to pay top wack for any tool, a guidline would be to buy the best you could afford.

There are many on the market now, that are basic throwaway jobbies, ie not meant to last but are so cheap you could afford to buy one a month.

For electricians a good solid drill is a must, rotary stop is not really essential as you will abuse this function.Especially on a battery powered, thats because us electricians are very lazy when it comes to tool selection.

I have drills in my tool box that are roughly older than me but still work with great torque and they have been bashed about even more than me.

Apart from the 110v and the 240v versions I have hand drills rangeing from 12v to 14,5 volt and 18volt and a very sick 24 volt.

All are used daily so I guess I would miss them all.

i think i'll go with the makita, mainly because of cost, but also because i dont have to carry another charger and more batteries around with me.. pain in the ass lol

we got 110v drills provided in work, so any big holes i'd use that.. it would be mostly 5.5mm holes

i think i'll go with the makita, mainly because of cost, but also because i dont have to carry another charger and more batteries around with me.. pain in the ass lol
I did the same with a Hitachi SDS 18 months ago as I already had the drill/driver and 3 batteries. I didn't expect much from it but its still going strong which is a real ****** as I quite fancy the new Bosch. Cant complain though, it will bang 6mm holes all day long and handle the odd 25mm I need to do, as long as there's plenty of time to drill it :D