Main Equipotential bonding identified at terminations

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeatBog

Reaction score
I have some main equipotential bonding that needs to go external, in a visible position. The client is not keen on seeing green and yellow cable or conduit. Is it ok to use black 10mm2 single and identify green and yellow at terminations?

I personally, would say No.

Why don't you run it conduit along its exterior length?

I have some main equipotential bonding that needs to go external, in a visible position. The client is not keen on seeing green and yellow cable or conduit. Is it ok to use black 10mm2 single and identify green and yellow at terminations?
Cant see how you could comply with section 514.3, page 93 onward of big red book.

e.g. Protective conductor 514.4.2... Green+Yellow blah blah etc..

514.4.6 Bare conductor would have appropriate colour, sleeve, disc, tape, paint etc.. blah , blah....

All in accordance with table 51 page 92.

I cannot think of a reg that would say it is appropriate to use a black, (which is a LIVE/PHASE/LINE conductor), marked as a protective conductor!

:|

I 100% agree with you that black conduit is the best way to go. However, if the client was really insistent then I can't see that I would be breaking any regulation other than

514.3.2 "preferably throughout its length". I read preferably as a statement of best practice but it certainly doesn't state "shall".

I think I will walk away if she refuses conduit! I don't like to feel compromised!

you could use black 10mm for the earth and indicate it at its terminations what do you think you are doing when you use 3 core swa. no difference

what the regs do say is you are not allowed to you green/yellow cable for anything but earth

I'd just do it with the black cable ,its perfectly safe, its what the customer wants,would save you painting it black which is a good idea . If you walk away she gets someone else who does it in black, so do it and take the money, quite safe, better than it doesn't get done at all.

Yeah, yeah I know it is an oddball job , its still bonded.

It can be a pain when customers start making up their own regs.

The only trouble when using cable of a different colour is that it can be mistakingly deemed to do nothing and removed by inexperianced people.

Another problem you have when running any cable outside is the uv damage to cable sheathing, making it brittle over time.

The other problem is accidental damage by impact, or by small children pulling at it.

I did a similar job and I ran the earth through black conduit, the clients son came whilst I was doing the job and said he did not like the way I had done it.

I told him I could re-route it but the extra cost would be around

How about , do it in G/Yell 10mm and price for giving the client a pot of black paint and a brush for after you've gone.

Or how about " Listen you silly tart, the regs is the regs , earth wire is green/yellow on every house in the country except yours , whats so special about you , you stupid cow?"

Nothing like the diplomatic approach, and that was nothing near one!!! :coat

This reminds of a recent job that i went to (initially to replace some luminaires in a reception area) , noticed black 10m2 cable from M.E.T to then disappear inside galvanised trunking and also found twin and earth cables clipped on their sides with one clip.

Thought my old electrical tutor had come to haunt me with the 2391 exam lol!

BTW black cable ended up only being main bond to metallic trunking so easily sorted but I did think when first seeing it " what the HECK, is going on!"