Re-wire pricing help

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sellers

Reaction score
Been asked to quote for a rewire on a detatched 3/4 bed house. Its after a cu change I did this week with very oddly wired sockets! (6 radial circuits with all arse about face 1 s/o in dinning room on with 1 in upstairs bed1 and 2 in upstairs bed 3. etc) a mess basically. The owner is in the process of doing the house up so everything is bare. Carpets up etc.

The house is about the same size as an average semi. Consists of walkthrough lounge/dinning room, kitchen, hall, porch and garage. Then upstairs, bathroom, 2 medium sized bedrooms, 1 small and 1 office, as well as landing.

I said I'd quote him on the sockets seperatley to everything else as he deffinatley wants the sockets, and I was suggesting the full rewire as there is no decor to ruin at the moment.

The kitchen ring has been wired in the past 6months with a cooker circuit too, so will be leaving that as it is.

So the price is for.

Lounge - 6 twin sockets

Dinning room - 4 twin sockets

Garage - 4 twin sockets - boiler spur

Hall - 2 twin sockets

Bed1 - 4 twin sockets

Bed 2 - 4 twin sockets

Bed 3 - 3 twin sockets

Office - 5 twin sockets

Seperate circuit for garage door spur.

Shower supply installing for future

The ground floor has concrete floor so everything downstairs will need chasing the long way.

I've estimated 340 for gear plus 10% = 374, and 4days (160 a day), 640

How does that sound to you guys? Its my first solo rewire so a bit worried about time scales.

As for lights

loung/dinning room - pendant in each, 2gang dimmer

garage - rewire existing 4 fluroescents 1way sw

understairs - batton lamp holder 1way sw

hall - 1 pendant 3gang sw

outside - rewire 2 existing coach lanterns

porch - pendant + PIR

kitchen- rewire existing 12 downlighters

landing - pendant 2way sw

bed1/2/3/office - pendant 1way sw

bathroom- rewire existing 8 downlighters

I've allowed 170 for gear plus 10% so 187 and 3 1/2 days

do these figures sound about right? I don't want to be left short, or go the otherway and overcharge?

when ever i have done rewires, complete rewires with a lad are 4/5 days with all testing and CU on something 3/4 bedroom. This normally includes moving furniture and carpets too. But i do hate this kind of job lol

Price sounds very reasonable also, day rate is quite low though i think for the work you will be doing.

no im not VAT registered. Only just got a business account and booked my elecsa assesment.

I estimated 3drums of 1.5 and 4 drums of 2.5, is that somewhere near for the size of house, (i know its hard as you guys cant see the house) or a bit less?

2 weeks as in 10days??

If doing it solo I would give yourself more time to do the job.

Your price would appear to be cheap for the amount of work involved but if you can do it and still earn a profit then all is well.

Cable requirements could not be really calculated without seeing the size of the house or the chosen cable routes. You should be ok with the cable you estimated I find that I would use more 1.5mm than 2.5mm on any rewire though.

cable all depends on how many circuits you are putting in. Generally I put in an upstairs ring a downstairs ring one for the kitchen and one for utility if there is one. But rarely you would use more than about 60 mtrs on each unless its a massive house.

Batty

Thought I'd drag this back up, the guys nearly back of holiday so going to send him my estimate tonight.

I got power to 1185

and lighting to 870

just wondering what to put on the end of my estimate, don't want to sound too OTT with terms and conditions but I've got this so far. Had to mention about the boarding as I forgot to look at it before hand!!

Price is based on using white plastic molded accessories, assuming that the attic isn

If doing it solo I would give yourself more time to do the job.Your price would appear to be cheap for the amount of work involved but if you can do it and still earn a profit then all is well.

Cable requirements could not be really calculated without seeing the size of the house or the chosen cable routes. You should be ok with the cable you estimated I find that I would use more 1.5mm than 2.5mm on any rewire though.
I'm with GH here, sounds a bit on the cheap side to me. No kitchen is a bonus timewise but I would be planning 2 - 3 weeks on a 4 bed detached. Don't be afraid to quote what it's gonna cost the guy to do the job.

There are people out there (me included) who would quote plenty more than that and they're busy! I quoted

Cheers, Well as I'm still employed the plan was to get an apprentice from work, give him 200quid for the weekend to help me chase and wire most of the place. Then in the next weeks nights finnish off, aswell as that following weekend by myself. Personally I don't think I should be charging as much as you guys as the customer knows I work for a firm and do this on the side. I think he is expecting it to be a bit cheaper than normal. Allthough its still going through by books as I need to have some money going in with the amounts going out.

no im not VAT registered. Only just got a business account
in my humble opinion, i would open a second personal business account and stuff the business account. they will charge you for everything, writing a chq, paying money in, taking money out....lloyds even charged me 12quid a month just to have the account.

but that just my view

oh just quoted myself for my first full rewire, 4 bed with kitchen and utilty, front porch light etc

Last edited by a moderator:
If you're doing this on weekends and evenings you'll either be a distinguished member or a dearly departed one by the time you get it finished!

I'm sensing hair... ripped from heid... all over the floor!

I have been there and I feel old now!