What tests prior to "pricing up"

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Dane

Just wondering what every one does prior to pricing up

What tests do you all run?

Do you guys get the tester out and spend time doing "some testing"

obviously not taking CU fronts off lol

If possible I would read the Ze , but always tell the client there could be a problem with the main earthing.

Theres a thread on here, by KME I think, with a list do,s and don't when pricing a rewire. Solid floors, loft boarded over etc. Take a look at that.

If possible I would read the Ze , but always tell the client there could be a problem with the main earthing.Theres a thread on here, by KME I think, with a list do,s and don't when pricing a rewire. Solid floors, loft boarded over etc. Take a look at that.
not really for the larger jobs, im thinking more along the lines of

extending a ring main for an extension, extra lights. Fuse spur, etc the "smaller" jobs

I think then for smaller jobs , it makes more sense to read the Ze while you are there pricing. No nasty surprises then after extending a ring, say, then finding the Zs is poor.

Just curious as i just had a ****** of a job...

basic tests everything was fine.

Just kicking my self though at the minute.

Did the work, and the RCD test failed miserably. New RCD Required :( customer refused to have the RCD changed as they "couldn't afford it"

Did they expect you to pay for it then ? X(
pretty much, builder ended up paying for it and charging it as "extra work" lol which is not really the way to go.

Although customer did say i should have noticed this when pricing up.

Some people are just clueless :(

Well I don't think you should have noticed it , what else did they think you should have noticed when just pricing up, lets see now, you missed the faulty RCD, you missed the poor Ze , you missed that faulty immersion heater, you didn't spot the outside light PIR was U/S , Oh and the doorbell worked before you came and these existing ancient metal light fittings have no earth terminals , you'll have to drill 'em and fit one. What did they expect ,a full test and report for sod all.

We are not mind readers.

haha

I was just curious has to how far people test the installations prior to/at the time of giving a quote.

ive recommended they get a full report done, as some of the other circuits in the board looked rather shady especially with the board been done by a YEB bloke

and then the kitchen been passed off on that RCD, they had a full report for the kitchen etc but didnt give it me till after and surprise surprise, no RCD times

Whenever I do any quote I do an initial inspection.

I test for an effective earth Ze.

Then I test Zs.

I do a global Ir test.

The results of these tests tell me all I need to know about the state of the instalation and how the addition or changes can effect the work I have been asked to do.

Everything is made clear to the client from the outset, so there are no nasty surprises.

I have had comments like "the last guy who gave me a quote did not do that"

or " the last electrician did not test anything he just said it would cost me so much"

My answer is always the same.

Go cheap get cheap, I am fuly registered I have grandchildren, and I will not do any work that is not safe.

Basic testing is a must to give a fully detailed quotation, with no hidden surprises.

Or I could just estimate a full rewire for say

Whenever I do any quote I do an initial inspection.I test for an effective earth Ze.

Then I test Zs.

I do a global Ir test.

The results of these tests tell me all I need to know about the state of the instalation and how the addition or changes can effect the work I have been asked to do.
This would not throw up a faulty RCD though. unless you do an RCD test on the installation as well before quoting. (thats if they have an RCD)

This would not throw up a faulty RCD though. unless you do an RCD test on the installation as well before quoting. (thats if they have an RCD)
Yeah but most quotes I do is for full rewires and the like.

If they do have any rcds it would be a good oppertunity at this stage to see if disconnection times are met.

So on this I agreeB-)

i must say i have been spending a lot of time on site, and this was a Saturday job

But just wondering if i was in the wrong not testing the RCD prior to work commencing.