periodic inspection report

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rovers1982

Reaction score
Confused

The more people i talk to the more i get confused.

If PIR is non notifiable and you do not need to be member of affiliation(niceic etc) to carryout PIR testing and you only need to be "competant" person to carry out PIR testing.

What do i realy need to test domestic installations beside test equipment, paperwork and public liability insurance.

I am electrician of 40yrs experience with the 2392 certificate and awaiting 2391 results.

Do you really need the Indemnity Insurance Zeespark. Is it not just your opinion of the installation on that day. As it says, cables hidden below floors etc have not been inspected. I certainly don't carry it. TBH

I also have Professional indemnity insurance especially where in my capacity advise is given.

This also covers me in the event of failure of alarm systems to operate properly if I make a mistake in the initial installation.

However I have never needed to claim, but it is there should I ever need it.

I have 10 million public liability, this is because some of my work is in high sector areas where organisations such as hospitals, schools and local authorities will ask for higher public liability insurance.

I have never made any claim against any work I have done, and my H&S policy and method statements are very clear and precise so every operative knows every procedure when doing any kind of work.

Periodic Inspection Reports requires you to be fully aware and experianced in the type of installation to be tested.

If your a DI it is no good doing a pir on a three phase 250amp supply if you have had no experiance of installing them in the first place.

Your testing experiance will come into force when you receive results that are outside what you would expect, there may be some very simple logical reasons for spurious results, that can only be dismissed or investigated when experiance has shown in the past what causes these "odd" results.

As the regulations state you can do any pir on any installation providing you are competant, there are many ways to prove your competancy, being a member of a regulatory body for example,or having the industry recognised testing certificate, or a thourogh knowledge of the type of installation to be tested.

This last requirement is a kind of get out clause inbuilt into the regulations.

For example if you have no formal training or qualifications, yet you install three phase supplies and have done for the last 30 years, it would be safe to assume you would know all there is to know about this type of installation.

If you carry out such installations in accordance with the regulations, and test accordingly you have complied with every regulation.

In court I do not think any electrical engineer could give counter evidence as to your competancy given experiance and your knowledge, built over time.

However I always make sure I am fully covered just for that special day when something is missed, that as a competant person I should have seen or detected.

Never happened yet, but thats because everything is double checked.

why do elecsa charge nearly 300quid for a pir assessment when there is no need for one??

why do elecsa charge nearly 300quid for a pir assessment when there is no need for one??
You are effectively paying for the backing & endorsement of the brand..

e.g. "Elecsa" or "NicEic" etc...

Some customers specifically want and request a PIR endorsed on logo'ed report paper, with an additional channel of complaint in the event of inaccuracies etc..

The approved bodies will not let you use their Logo on PIR reports unless they have verified you are competent...

thus a

Thats right , its brand image, so it could be yours , eg:- Rovers 1982 Electrical or it could be NICEIC/ AlCASELTZA or NAFITT which will cost you.

As in one of my earlier posts , you'll find that commercially, insurers will only accept NICEIC. PIRs.

Deke

ConfusedThe more people i talk to the more i get confused.

If PIR is non notifiable and you do not need to be member of affiliation(niceic etc) to carryout PIR testing and you only need to be "competant" person to carry out PIR testing.

What do i realy need to test domestic installations beside test equipment, paperwork and public liability insurance.

I am electrician of 40yrs experience with the 2392 certificate and awaiting 2391 results.
I am not sure you are right about you only need to be "competent person to carry out a PIR.

I did 2 years as an apprentice elrectrician over 30 years ago and just taken my Part "P" a year ago and although I do feel Competent, I was told by the course tutor that I would not be allowed to carry out a PIR. He says I am not quallified to check someone else's work, but is that not what I do when I test and issue a Minor works or a EIC. ?? very confussing headbang

Chas

I am not sure you are right about you only need to be "competent person to carry out a PIR.I did 2 years as an apprentice elrectrician over 30 years ago and just taken my Part "P" a year ago and although I do feel Competent, I was told by the course tutor that I would not be allowed to carry out a PIR. He says I am not quallified to check someone else's work, but is that not what I do when I test and issue a Minor works or a EIC. ?? very confussing headbang

Chas
I would go as far as saying your tutor was wrong. You need to prove competence do do a PIR, Join a scheme etc. Passing an exam is a good way of externally verifying this. It is not essential.

Anyone can do a PIR.

I am not sure you are right about you only need to be "competent person to carry out a PIR.I did 2 years as an apprentice electrician over 30 years ago and just taken my Part "P" a year ago and although I do feel Competent, I was told by the course tutor that I would not be allowed to carry out a PIR. He says I am not qualified to check someone else's work, but is that not what I do when I test and issue a Minor works or a EC. ?? very confusing head bang

Chas
Regulation 621.5 page 162... big red book!

Periodic inspection and testing shall be undertaken by a competent person.
Competent person, Part Definitions, Page 22.. big red...

A person who possesses sufficient technical knowledge, relevant practical skills and experience for the nature of the electrical work undertaken and is able at all times to prevent dangers.,and where appropriate, injury to him/herself and others.
:)