2391, do I have a hope in hell!

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tom79

Reaction score
OK, as some of you know from reading my other posts I am not working as an electrician or even a mate at the moment but have done in the past for a couple of years.

I am doing my 17th edition now, and in 2 weeks have my test.

My next step is 2391, then after that get registered

Study Like Mad and you will stand a good chance.

Remember - It has to be word perfect.

Hia tom, I am in the same position as you, firstly getting your 2392 is a definite step in the right direction. The 2391 is split into 2 parts, theory and practical. The practical for Me wasnt hard, but the theory is like having a 3 session of having your teeth pulled. The issue with the theory is remembering everything that you have been taught in the classroom. I made some really daft mistakes ie using 16th edition voltage tolerances etc. OK I failed that section, but I didnt half learn a shedload on the subject.

AndyGuiness Drink

Andy, did you pass? did you do the 2392 1st or did you just jump right in there with the 2391

Seems my local college do the 2392 also, I think I might do that 1st, otherwise I am going to not pass if im realistic about it.

Cheers Andy and good luck

OK, as some of you know from reading my other posts I am not working as an electrician or even a mate at the moment but have done in the past for a couple of years. I am doing my 17th edition now, and in 2 weeks have my test.

My next step is 2391, then after that get registered

2 out of 9 passed! that is very low isnt it. Well ill try and get on the 2392, it isnt looking like one is running here anytime soon but I can get a 2391... but i am not confident ill pass. My knowledge on 3 phase isnt that great to be fair either.

Would i have a look at one of these papers please, are they available on a link?

You passed didnt you also, was you involved in much testing before sitting the course?

Another thing about the 2392 is its bloody expensive compared to the 2391, I can get on a 10 week course 2391 for

2 out of 9 passed! that is very low isnt it. Well ill try and get on the 2392, it isnt looking like one is running here anytime soon but I can get a 2391... but i am not confident ill pass. My knowledge on 3 phase isnt that great to be fair either.Would i have a look at one of these papers please, are they available on a link?

You passed didnt you also, was you involved in much testing before sitting the course?

Another thing about the 2392 is its bloody expensive compared to the 2391, I can get on a 10 week course 2391 for

2 out of 9 passed! that is very low isnt it. Well ill try and get on the 2392, it isnt looking like one is running here anytime soon but I can get a 2391... but i am not confident ill pass. My knowledge on 3 phase isnt that great to be fair either.Would i have a look at one of these papers please, are they available on a link?

@ septiclecky + Securityvillage, yer the 3 phase I think will be a problem, maybe I could buy a 2330 book becasue I think the basics are covered in that. I think the total of my 2 years prior experiance, 2, maybe 3 days of that where 3 phase! saying that I did a good job on the consumer unit ;)

@ zeespark, I am in Newcastle upon Tyne

@ securityvillage thanks, ill PM you my email address thanks for that, and well done on being one of the 2 who passed.

Tom I mean this in the most polite way I can

I think you should not bother with the 2391 because you lack experience, how can you go out and inspect someone work when you have little or no experience, the word competent comes to mind

I think personally no one should be able to do the 2391 until they have been out of there time for at least 3 years

Tom I mean this in the most polite way I can I think you should not bother with the 2391 because you lack experience, how can you go out and inspect someone work when you have little or no experience, the word competent comes to mind

I think personally no one should be able to do the 2391 until they have been out of there time for at least 3 years
I do know what you are saying but from experiance working as a mate, I just didnt learn a thing about testing. I thought just crack on and do it, even if I fail I will have a better understanding of it! but I plan to pass... then try and get a job as a mate as I think I would benifit from working with someone for a bit.

I am trying to get a job as a mate now, but its looking hard in Newcastle! I am thinking of looking further away as I am not too worried about moving but I will have to see what happens.

Thanks for your idea I do understand you point. It is not my aim to pass and the next day take on a massive job, I know the limitations of someone with papers but less experiance, I have a couple of years experiance so I am not completly in over my head but know I have work to do.

2391 is an academic exam - rightly or wrongly. Working in the industry helps you bring theory into practice - but you can do it in isolation. Most people fail 2391 due to lack of preparation.

Only you can judge what you can do. If you have an academic bias and good exam technique you should be able to pass - but it really is down to you.

I did 16th + 2391 on 8 weeks night school - but have got an academic engineering background.