Downlights

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UK DAZ

Reaction score
HI THERE ive just in stalled 6 230v 50watt downlights in the kitchen no transformers, but seem to have very poor light output? I have 6 12v 50watt on transformers in the frontroom which give of the output lighting i need .why the difference in output lighting headbang and what have i done wrong. cheers everyone

could be a few things as said above, any more details?

how are they wired, what else is on the circuit, are they definitely 50w lamps?

I would imagine its because you are used to lv and not mains voltage. There is quite a lot of difference in light output. If you where used to mains voltage you probably would think nothing was wrong.

Batty

im just starting out so would u tell mei dont know
If you have already done something how can we tell you how its done?

When you say just starting out, are you just starting up as an "electrician" ??

Give as much detail of the installation as you really can, and you will have more chance of getting the right answer. Its hard to answer with guess work.

Mains dont give as much light as 12v

you could change the lamps to 38 degree angle reflectors to spread the light

dont want to sound to stupid here but how could u wire in series??

If you have already done something how can we tell you how its done? When you say just starting out, are you just starting up as an "electrician" ??

Give as much detail of the installation as you really can, and you will have more chance of getting the right answer. Its hard to answer with guess work.
Yes im in second year of college i now understand lv and mains but wot i dont get or im missing is why does low voltage give a larger output of light as appose to mains ?

dont want to sound to stupid here but how could u wire in series??
feed in then to the rest of the other spots i dont think you can wire a radial of 1 loop i may be wrong