low energy downlights

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sparkyrj

Reaction score
Hi, i have a job to install 8 downlights in a garage conversion , and the customer wants 230v low energy ones. I have found some at TLC that look ok, but wondered if the the light output will be ok compared to 12v halogens.They are 11watt and are supposed to be equivalent to 50w regular lamps in light output.I just wondered if anybody has any experiance of these.

i have just installed 30 of these... They do what the say on the tin,

the only thig i will say is they are very Slow to warm up,... you may need to add somthing so your customer will be able to switch somthing on if they just want to pop into the garage.

i would say they take about 2-3 min's to warm up compleatly .

i think i was getting the lamps for about

Do you mean the GU10 11watt such as the Megaman ones ?

We have used loads of these. They are not as bright as 50w 12v, but are brighter than 50w GU 10'S. We did carry out a lumen test , but i cant find that right now. When we know the 11w low energy are going to be installed we put a few more in than if it was 12v types.

Note, the 11w GU10 cfl's do not meet the energy efficiency rules as the lumen output per watt is not high enough

I tend to fit these more than lv these days. Light is different as it fluorescent but I quite like them and fitted them in my kitchen and utility room. Generally I still fit lv in bathrooms and shower rooms but for energy saving I think they are the way to go.

Batty

so out of interest what would...
Haven't got time to look up the rules right now, but the Aurora rep told me its why they brought out the Super GU10 (SGU10 OR GU10S ?) which are 13w

Check any fittings against the lamps !!!!

For example, Megaman 11w cfl ( inc Dimable) do not fit in Aurora GU10 low energy fire rated fittings as the cover over the fixing clips hits the lamp, but other makes do fit.

very interesting stuff, i have been impressed with the 11w megamans just wish the warm up was a bit quicker, i saw they have released a 13w version possible for the same reasons great68 mentioned that aurora had, but they are not suitable for fire rated fittings!!! i cudnt believe that. slightly disappointed.

Thanks for the replies, very interesting.I think i will go with the low energies. they dont mind the warm up time as they have low energy lamps in fittings all over the house so they are expecting this .Thanks again.